Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

adding a hood scoop

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
I need help grafting/bonding a hood scoop to my stock 1982 hood. My hood is smc verses the scoop I believe hand laid mat and the outside is gelcoated on the hoodscoop.

I basically want to cut the center section of my hood out and blend this scoop in. At the same time brace it as well for a factory looking long style L88 hood.

any tips and advice appreciated.

First things First; TAKE YOUR TIME setting it up before doing anything!!!!

Get the hood off and laid out on something solid; table etc. Mark the centerlines on the hood and the scoop. The mark the outline of where it goes. Sand the contact areas on both. Then using bonding compound mate the new scoop in place. Once it has dried then turn it over and cut out the opening.

Getting everything marked and measured first makes it all so much easier in the long run.
Good luck and post some picture.

Hope this helps in some way,

Gary
SAVE the WAVE

see what I think is possible is this. outline like you said and bond some flush bonding strip pieces to the underside of the hood then bond the scoop in like this and fiberglass and more fiberglass so the remnants of this long style L88 hood is strong.

this was a crappy hood I bought on ebay so the actual scoop is long enough to reach the windshield. but it was so weak I saw no hope for it but to bond the scoop section to my original hood.

this way I should after extra glass reinforcing still have a very strong hood. As well as the additional clearance I want and the looks.

well, I've made all my marks to get the hood scoop centered on this hood. Tomorrow I will probably cut the hole in my 82 hood and start installing this hood scoop. Probably going to be alot of blending involved to make it look right.

Hard thou to see out the windshield compared to the stock hood though but with the scoop gives me a lot more clearance and a way to release underhood heat as well as a perfect fitting hood since I've never liked the gaps of the aftermarket hoods.

I will take pictures of my progress and post them

I have my original stock hood in storage if you want one to practice on. :)

how much to ship to 92399 terminal pickup though

Saia
Yellow
USF
Gimme a couple days. I'll have to go to my storage locker and grab the dimension of the shipping box and try to figure out the weight.
Any chance of you doing some of the legwork for finding any of those shippers near the 44070 zip code?

I have my hood in the same box that I received my replacement, so it should just be a matter of finding a carrier. (and finding some way for me to get it to the carrier as I don't have a vehicle large enough to handle the hood. :chuckle)

Well, today I started my hood scoop grafting project. Theres alot more to this then simply bonding it in place, most of this long style L-88 scoop passes over the inner frame work so thats where it will be challenging.

So I think my first step will be this, get the scoop semi bonded in place and in the areas that so the skin is still fairly strong. Then I am going to seperate the rest of the inner frame from the hood and really stregthen up the skin and the rebond it back to the inner frame.

This way I have the L-88 long style hood Ive always wanted yet don't have to deal with the weak aftermarket version. I think by doing it this way I will have a very strong hood and best of all it will still retain the factory gaps which on aftermarket hoods has always dissapointed me.

The hood thats being the guinea pig is the stock crossfire hood from my car. I still have alot of work to do on it obviously & I plan on somehow grafting 1984 crossfire hood ducts into it as well and draw air from the base of the windshiel if I can.

but a quik question. On the back of the inner frame there is a cable that runs from the hood latches. What is the purpose of this cable?

here are some pictures of my progress so far

I also wanted to add, with my factory hood butchered up. It is still wayyyy stronger then the original cheap imitation L-88 hood that this hood scoop originated from.

when it's complete I might even have a mold of it made and maybe sell just the skins to bond onto original inner frames.

Nice job you're doing, I'm interested in seeing it take shape as you go along.

I also like the looks of the green grass, mine is burried under this white stuff that keeps falling out of the sky.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom