Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adding Air Condition to a 62

Toy4Hal

Corvette
62 Maroon, 03 Anniversary Convertible
I'm going to add A/C to my 62 Corvette. There seems to be 2 companies who offer a "kit" for the C1: Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air.

Classic has a kit that retails for $1,245 plus the compressor mounting kit. Their package is for heat, air, and defrost. Seems to use the original heater controls so, besides the vents under the dash and package tray, is "almost" invisible. They seems to even include a bracket to move the overflow tank back.

Vintage has a kit that retails for $999. Their kit is "A/C" only. They also claim it's a "plug and play" installation, outside of pulleys, etc.

I think both manufacturers have recently updated their offering, although the newer Vintage model does not seem to apply to C1 'Vettes.

I won't let the price difference move me one way or the other. I want the best operating unit available for a 62.

Does anyone have any recent experience adding A/C to their C1 using either product? Or perhaps their is another vendor out there?

I do plan to switch to an alternator to have enough electric power, and I do plan to have it professionally installed.

Thanks in advance for any input you have.

Hal

Hot Rod Air has an offering too...however I haven't done a comparison..

Stan M.

Thanks, Stan. I saw that on another forum, and people spoke highly of the product versus the other 2. I have written them for more information.

Thanks again, and "Save the Wave".

let me know how this goes would like to put air in my 61 steve

let me know how this goes would like to put air in my 61 steve

I'm going to eb talking to installers over the next few weeks. My guess is this will get done in January. I'll be happy to share.

which one is the easiest to hide the hoses and their routing?

I dont want to see any hoses if I can help it never any hoses going through my firewall.....I have worked real hard keeping everything I can off the firewall.....and wiring and hoses to an absolute minimum.....anyone comment on that?

photos?

Herb

...i have a VA unit in my C2 coupe and i find it works very well and the controls are OK, not great, just OK

...i assume that you'll go with a R134a system (if it works that well with a big block coupe in the middle of a hot and humid new jersey summer, it will work well for you) and from what i can see, the ac components are just commodity items (for example, most everybody uses a compact sanden compressor)....as was said, i think it comes down to how well the plenum box and hoses integrate into your dash...

VNV (Mark Richman) just got a nice system for his C2, i really like the quality of the hardware (again, a sanden compressor), so do a search for one of his threads and see if anything helps you with your C1....

...if you can swing a wrench, you do not have to pay an installer, this is a VERY simple installation...i did mine, by myself, in two weekends....with VNV's setup, it took months but he did a substantial amount of custom fabrication to meet the high standards of the rest of the car :cool

...the only work outsourced by me was crimping the hoses, i evacuated the system, charged it, etc., etc....true, i can't draw a vacuum down to fraction of a millimeter but it works well

Hot Rod Air

I got the following information from Hot Rod Air relating to my inquiry:

"Part # 75-0058 1958-1962 Corvete A/C Package runs $1150.00 plus shipping.
This system is designed as a direct bolt in and does not require any major modifications to your car. The "Indash" unit tucks up behind the dash and provides you with a/c, vent heat, floor heat, and dehumidified defrost allowing you to blend hot and cold air in the heat and defrost modes. The complete kit includes the evaporator, a new Sanden 508 compressor, compressor bracket, precrimped hoses, drier with safety switch, condenser assembly, all mounting hardware, and a step by step installation booklet."

They also sent the installation instructions. I had asked about their "in dash" versus "under dash" options. The "underdash" is an air only option and continues to use the built in heater for heat/defrost.

I do like how their kit (above) installs with 2 air outlets on each side of the center console. In fact, 2 of the vents will actually be "built into" the sides of the center console. Pretty slick!

The installation instructions are a 2 MB file. I'll be happy to forward it to anyone who sends me an email address to hal@vatcher.com

In terms of installation, they sent me a list of companies in my area that can do the job. Yes, I could install it myself, except I am working on my 65 GTO project at the moment and can't do it all. When I look at much of the work being under the dash (tough for a large guy like me) I can save the install cost by minimizing the outside work on the GTO.

"Save the Wave".

i think VNV's kit is Hot Rod Air...very good quality stuff, his is all blinged up

One of the installation companies recommended by Hot Rod Air was also recommended by a good C1 buddy in Orange County. I may try and speak with them next week, and maybe even get some local referals.

I tried searching for VNV posts but i don;t seem to find what I was looking for. That's what being a "rookie" on here is about!!!

Thanks.

I have a Classic Auto Air unit in my modified '56, with the heat, AC, defrost unit all in one. I am very happy with it. I drive my car and in Texas the AC makes it possible to drive and enjoy the car in the summer, put the top up and turn on the AC and go !

I have a Classic Auto Air unit in my modified '56, with the heat, AC, defrost unit all in one.

There is a 57 in So Cal with air as well. I'm not sure which package but it is a clean install. I think Classic and Hot Rod are the 2 companies that have the "all in one" heat/cooling systems for the C1s. I think Vintage Air has the "all in one" for C2 and beyond.

Got any pictures of the A/C, both in the cabin and under the hood?

Thanks.

hope this shows what you want to see.. if not let me know and I can take more ...

ac1.jpg

ac2.jpg

ac3.jpg

note.. on the interior controls for the air unit .. I use their cables, replace their generic knobs with '56 wiper control knobs that fit both cable controls with the set screw that the knob comes with ...

hope this shows what you want to see.. if not let me know and I can take more ...

note.. on the interior controls for the air unit .. I use their cables, replace their generic knobs with '56 wiper control knobs that fit both cable controls with the set screw that the knob comes with ...

Very Nice work 56 Texas...and I love that Ram Jet in your ride..

:beer

thanks... I will say that the RamJet, Tremec 5 Speed and AC really make the car enjoyable to drive year round !

you know.. I have put about 3000 miles on it since I started driving it this spring.. I have not checked yet .. but it does seem to do well just by gut feel .. I don't quite have the odometer calibrated quite right yet and I don't think I could get a accurate number right now .. that is on my to do list this winter is to get the Tremec synced up with accurate speedo numbers ...

Nice, tidy install!!!! I hope I can do as well! Thanks.

Now, what is that intake on your engine?

Hal ..

the engine is a 350 cubic inch GM Crate motor with fuel injection, comes from the General all as one and ready to plug and play .. pretty neat and simple way to get fuel injection .. here is the best photo I have of the engine (before the AC was added and paint) ..
56Vetteengine04ss.jpg

more information on the engine here http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/E...350&engine=Ram Jet 350&sku=12499120&engCat=sb

since I started driving it early this year I have found this engine to be very efficient, powerful and driveable ... I ran mid 14's in the quarter with it not pushing it hard .. drove to Dallas to Austin and back in May with the air on, in 5th gear turning 2 grand at 70 mph.. it was like a dream ...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom