Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adding Air Condition to a 62

the rear end is 3:08 ... the car is so light that I can hardly tell any difference when I had the T-10 tranny and 4:11 - except on the highway and instead of screaming it's a nice hum now !! ...

....sounds great. I guess the Tremec 1st gear is pretty low compared to the T-10 to feel like it does with 3:08's.

With oil near a $100 a barrell...mileage is becoming more of an issue on cars that we plan on driving a lot.

...plus seems like the younger generations are intimidated with carburetors ...if one of these cars comes up for sale it needs fuel injection.

Makes it kinda hard to stay old school appearance and accomplish all the above.

Looks like your car is a nice mix of both without getting so exotic you have to mortgage your home. Nice!

I have considered this approach ...with maybe having the intake massaged by Arizona Marine to mimic the early GM manifolds. I really would like to know what kind of mileage to expect before I went that route ...the AZ Marine stuff is real pricey.

And...cbernhardt had some issues with his RamJet engine not idling down (like cruise not kicking out) ...have you had any problems along that line?

Well done good looking car...Stan M.

it has taken me many years to get this deal done and I appreciate the kind words very much ... yes on the AZ Marine retro look with the intake, I also considered it but I couldn't justify the expense - but it looks cool ! and yes it can idle funny sometimes on me, but it seems as I get more hours on the motor the less 'things' happen, my biggest issue was going into limp mode randomly which required me to turn off the motor and restart to get it out of.. I think I had some air in the cooling system and the computer was getting signals that caused it to go into limp mode as that issue has diminished...

A/C and Alternator?

I have a Classic Auto Air unit in my modified '56, with the heat, AC, defrost unit all in one. I am very happy with it. I drive my car and in Texas the AC makes it possible to drive and enjoy the car in the summer, put the top up and turn on the AC and go !

Did you convert your generator to an alternator? If so, what power alternator? Did you add an electric fan to help cooling?

I saw some "controversial" discussion about the ammeter not working if one converts to an alternator in a C1. Can you confirm?

Anyone, can you advise of the alternator brackets and/or pulleys I will need if convert to an alternator? Are these "standard" parts, perhaps as used in a C2?

Thanks.

yes it is almost a must to convert the gen to alt .. I don't recall the power output this alternator is but more is better... I used this bracket setup for both the compressor and alternator available from Classic Air (where my unit came from)
http://www.classicautoair.com/Catalog/Univ Cat - Page 29-37.pdf
my ammeter performs as needed, I have had no issues with it .. and as for cooling I have a 'Be Cool' alum radiator and their recommended elec fan that was tested for the first time this past summer and in traffic in Texas heat this setup maintained temperature below 220 with AC on ....

my ammeter performs as needed, I have had no issues with it

I have gone ahead with my AC project. All is fine except getting the ammeter to work. We have the ammeter working, but it is drawing power when the car is turned off. The car is dead in the morning.
Can you tell me how you have the wiring going to support the continued use of the C1 ammeter? I have a 1 wire alternator. Thanks. Hal

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom