Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adding HP to my '81

G

GotMy81@16

I have an '81, and wish to do some sort of modification to increase the horsepower. It currently has around 190 and I want to make it atleast 200. Im not looking for some sort of 75 HP upgrade, I just want something with about 10-50 HP increase. I was told that True Dual Exhaust is the way to go, but the emissions test in my area wont allow that. Keep in my this is my daily driver. If anyone knows anything I can do i'm all ears.

Thanks

you could throw in a K&N filter....execute the cat and put in some high flow mufflers.... i think they make a hypertech chip for the 81 also. a good tune up always helps if the car is feeling sluggish? i just did mine with blue streak cap,rotor and coil. and some good ole AC plugs.

I put the True Dual Exhaust, no cats on my 1980, dont know how much HP i got, but it runs alot stronger then it did, as far as, emissions test, iam going to put speclal tags on it so i dont never have to have it tested,:) with theses histortcal tags i never have to put tags on it again, there is restections to it, but they never have checked to see if your going to a show or, to a shop to have it worked on, i just drive it on nice days.
K&N filter is next, dont know what that will give me ? anyone know, or know what the
True Dual Exhaust, gave me ??
ty steve

steves1980 said:
I put the True Dual Exhaust, no cats on my 1980, dont know how much HP i got, but it runs alot stronger then it did, as far as, emissions test, iam going to put speclal tags on it so i dont never have to have it tested,:) with theses histortcal tags i never have to put tags on it again, there is restections to it, but they never have checked to see if your going to a show or, to a shop to have it worked on, i just drive it on nice days.
K&N filter is next, dont know what that will give me ? anyone know, or know what the
True Dual Exhaust, gave me ??
ty steve
Put it on the dyno at Cruise-Fest 2004 there is only 3 registered for the dyno so far; but one is a 02 with a 427 C5-R should be a sight to see. Where in Ohio are you?
Craig sr

Do you know how to get the hypertech chip? Also, how did you get the historical tags and what do you need to qualify?

no on the hypertech chip,and the historical tags, your car has to be 25 years old , you apply for them @ the license bureau, it costs like 17.00 for a lifetime., iam in hamilton, my car wont be ready for the Cruise fest, i will be taking it to the paint shop in about a month.

You can't get them here in Washington State unless the car was made before 1950. There is talk of uping that to 1955, but not sure if it has gone through.

If you are looking for only a little HP improvement then change to a better air cleaner for starts. Then a HiPro cat and free flow mufflers. You can also get that much by going to electric fans for the cooling system. It takes close to 5HP or more just the turn the clutch fan. If you don't mind the cost, change to a TPI system. You'll get the HP, gas mileage and still pass the test. Or move out of that county and make the drive every day to work, becuase the testing is not state wide. It is only in some county and cities like Seattle, Tacoma and your area; just the counties with the big cities in Washington State. I've lived in Yakima, Benton and now in Grays Harbor Counties and have never had to have my cars tested.

Good luck

Gary

cheap increase in performance, headers!! you can get some nice headers and graft them into a y-pipe, run a high flow cat and Dynomax Ultra Turbo Flow mufflers. if you don't mind burnt pain headers, the set-up will be $100 for headers, $60 for cat, and $120 each for muffs. the ultras are stainless, last forever and look and sound killer. Brian

oh ya, the mid pipes can be easily made by any muffler shop and installed for $200 or less.

You can also get under drive pulleys for you car

Does anyone know where I can get some quality headers?
Thanks for the help!

i saw someone on ebay selling headers for a great price,

do you know of a good brand to look for?? thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom