Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adding HUD to C6

Gorgon

Corvette
None
This is a popular mod on the C5 for the early cars that didn't have HUDs and were HUD enabled. But my questions is, how many would add a HUD to their C6 and has it been done? I don't recall seeing any threads on it but if I ordered a new C6 and wanted to add the HUD later and save ~$5000 by not having to order the 3LT package how viable is this? My assumptions is as easy and as plug and play as the HUD enabled C5. Anyone with experience with this?

Leon

I did not get the HUD or the 3LT package.

From what I've heard, its not practical to install a HUD in a C6. Its more difficult than putting it in a C5.

I hear the C6 needs a whole new winsdhield, along with other changes.

I did not get the HUD or the 3LT package.

From what I've heard, its not practical to install a HUD in a C6. Its more difficult than putting it in a C5.

I hear the C6 needs a whole new winsdhield, along with other changes.

Any car with HUD has a different windshield that is part of the HUD, there is something "special" in the windshield to allow the HUD to reflect in the windshield. If the so called "special" windshield is not used the display can be very blurry or out of focus. I would also assume that you will also need a new dash that is cut out for the HUD display unit or else butcher the current dash that is in your car.

I would venture to say that you would have probably been better off ordering the LT3 package. More bang for the buck (i.e. more options/features for the oney being spent).

The following is copied from the 2007 C6 Corvette manual regarding the windshield replacement on a HUD car.

Windshield Replacement
Keep in mind that your windshield is part of the
Head-Up Display (HUD) system. If you ever have
to get your windshield replaced, be sure to get
one that is designed for HUD or your HUD image
may look blurred or out of focus.

Thanks for the replies guys. The windshield was part of the HUD display in the C5 as well and the display worked just fine on the regular windshield. I'm not sure why the windshield in the C6 would be that much more important. Well, actually it's likely due to the finer resolution in the C6 display which would be less forgiving than the C5 display. This could make sense.

As to cutting a hole in the dash cover, that was part of the procedure in the C5 install as well. I guess I'd be more afraid to do this in a new car versus a 9 year old car. Perhaps I'll look for a used 3LT car, but it's hard to resist the 430+hp on the '08. :)

Leon

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom