Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: adjust and torque the shifter bolts

Hogchef

Corvette
2002 Z06 and 1990 Convertible
Got a '02 Z06, just started grinding going from 2nd to 1st [even at 5mph or less]. All other up shits and down shifts smooth as silk. When I stop, I down shift to 2nd, stop, then shift to 1st gear with no problem, but I have to come to a complete stop. I changed out and Ranger method my clutch fluid till crystal clear. Had dealership change trans and differential fluids. Still grinds. Clutch is strong and tight.
A fellow C5'er told me to "adjust and torque the shifter bolts". The problem is that I can not DIY anything mechanical. [insert sarcastic remarks here!]
Anybody got an idea of the cost for this at either dealership or trans shop? Anybody got a video of "adjust and torque the shifter bolts" and last anybody got any other ideas before I consider a rebuild of my trans or a new one?

Thanks to all who are kind enough to help.

This will get you started on info. the mounting bushings could also be old but I doubt that, but check them. They can be replaced but I am not sure if dealers have them. If you have the dealer or shop do the job, I would have the bushings "in hand" and have them put new ones in.

How to Align your Shifter - SmokinVette.com Forums

Resource for bushings:

1997-2015 Corvette Shifter Lower Housing Bushings

This is something virtually anybody can do. If you need any guidance help you can PM me with your phone number and we can discuss.

You can use the above info to "test" the experience of any shop by asking questions before you hand them the key.

This will get you started on info. the mounting bushings could also be old but I doubt that, but check them. They can be replaced but I am not sure if dealers have them. If you have the dealer or shop do the job, I would have the bushings "in hand" and have them put new ones in.

Thanks dadaroo. This is a great help! You are right, I will now have some good knowledge when talking with either dealership or shop about my shifting problems and repair. I really appreciate your fast and helpful reply.

HogChef

Thanks dadaroo. This is a great help! You are right, I will now have some good knowledge when talking with either dealership or shop about my shifting problems and repair. I really appreciate your fast and helpful reply.

HogChef

The shifter adjustment is critical and the first place to start. Consider installing Redline ATF D4 in your transmission also if the fluid has not been changed in the last 30K, it can noticeably change the shift quality, but not unless the shifter is aligned properly. Good luck with it. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom