Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Adjust the Rag Joint?

Bolisk

Corvette
1972 LS5 Convertible PS, PB, A/C
I've spent the last week rebuilding / replacing steering parts in my 1970 vette.

I've had the steering column, and steering gear rebuilt. I've also rebuilt the knuckle joint that the pitman arm attaches to on the center link (the ball and socket / spring think in the center link). I took the rag joint into my local vette shop and had it inspected. The rag was fine but the coper ground strap was broken. I've repaied the coper strap and rebuilt the rag joint.

Now it's time to put everything back together. Do I need to torq the steering grear down to the frame? Or just make is as tight as I can get it by hand?

When I re-install the rag joint. . .is it possible to over tighten the bolts that go through the rag? What should it look like?

Thanks
-Bolisk

steering gear to frame w car on the ground rooled and setteld 25 to 35 lbs ft. rag joint same thing car on the ground and rol car back to settle suspenion. gap from flange plate to material .250-.375. the small and big nut on rag joint torque to 20lbs ft:ugh

Also remember that your steering gear, steering colum and your wheels all have a center. So the best way to do this is to center your steering gear, then attach a centered steering colum (wheel) and then attach centered front wheels. Of course you can also first attach the wheels and after that the steering column :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom