Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Bad Rag Joint

eoseitz

Corvette
1974 Stingray L82
rag_joint.jpg

I have a lot of play in my steering. I inspected the rag joint and it the play seems to be coming from it. The pins on both sides turn a ways before the catch and turn the shaft going into the steering box. Should there be rubber taking up the slack on this?

You need to replace that rag joint as soon as possible. I haven't seen one that bad.

I saw this one from RIKs Vet
STE305 Steer coupler flange "Repair Kit" aka Rag Joint $11.95

If they have them the other will also.

I don't disagree that you should replace the rag joint, but you can eliminate play in your steering by adjusting the screw on top of your steering box.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368898084.432805.jpg

Thanks for all the responses. I thought it looked pretty worn out. I'll replace it and also check out the adjuster on the power steering box.

Well I got the new rag joint installed yesterday. It wasn't too difficult. I went the route of moving back the gear box. My steering is a lot stiffer now. Is there a certain procedure on adjusting the screw on the gear box, or do I just turn it until the steering feels like I want it to?

Well I got the new rag joint installed yesterday. It wasn't too difficult. I went the route of moving back the gear box. My steering is a lot stiffer now. Is there a certain procedure on adjusting the screw on the gear box, or do I just turn it until the steering feels like I want it to?

There is a procedure. Do not touch that screw until you know what you are doing!!! You might Google Corvette steering box adjustment or wait until someone with Corvette steering box adjustment knowledge posts the procedure for you.

9 times out of 10 if the screw needs tightening to remove free play the box is in need of an overhaul due to wear or bad bearings. Many a box has been ruined by owners cranking down on the screw without understanding what they're doing.

Duly noted. :L Thanks for the reply. I'll check my manual to see if there is anything about it. I don't recall seeing anything when I replaced the rag joint though. If all else fails, google all the way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom