Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Steering Hard / Stiff to Right (72 Vette).........

coptertom

Corvette
1972 and 2014 C7
Having steering issues on my 72 vette. Turning the steering wheel to the left appears normal however when turning it to the right it is hard / stiff. I replaced the power steering pump, rebuilt the ps cylinder, rebuilt the steering gear box, new pitman arm and just had the front end alignment. When driving down the road (center of lane / flat portion of the road) the car drifts slightly to the left. I am going to have the alignment re-checked however I don't think that is the main cause. The tie rods were replaced a couple of years ago and look good. The left front brake caliper was leaking and was replaced. If I brake at speeds up to 35 mph, the vette brakes in a straight line. When I am at speeds above 35 mph, the front end initially goes to the right then back to the left..................

I can't figure out if this is a brake issue or steering component issue, considering the hard/stiff steering to the right..........................

Any ideas on what to check next?
:confused

With the front wheels off the ground, is there any difference in resistance? Has the control valve been 'balanced' so that it neither drags the steering left nor right? Ball joint play?

Mikey's got it right...ball joints, upper and lower, and the control valve adjustment are the first places I'd look.

Inspect all front control arm bushings.

Whata about a tire problem? Try rotating the tires or swapping the front left to right, then road test.

Also, if the car has ever been crashed in the front, measure the frame per the FSM. Lastly, C2/3 chassis tend to crack around the steering box mounting point and around welds which bond the front cross member to the frame. Also, the front lower control arm shafts should be inspected to see if their mountings have any problems.

Let us know what you find.

Mikey's got it right...ball joints, upper and lower, and the control valve adjustment are the first places I'd look.

Inspect all front control arm bushings.

Whata about a tire problem? Try rotating the tires or swapping the front left to right, then road test.

Also, if the car has ever been crashed in the front, measure the frame per the FSM. Lastly, C2/3 chassis tend to crack around the steering box mounting point and around welds which bond the front cross member to the frame. Also, the front lower control arm shafts should be inspected to see if their mountings have any problems.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the tips on what to look for. The front wheels turn freely when up on a lift. The ball joints (upper & lower) were replace about 4 years ago; inspected them and appear solid and in good shape still. All the front control arm bushings look good. A new control valve was put on about 4 years ago by the previous owner; I will check the adjustment this weekend. Tires were rotated this week and did not make any difference.

I will post what I find......................Thanks

On my car standing still it turns fine left and right, but when I apply the brakes it won't
turn to the right, take my foot off the brakes and it works fine, it's a 1975

turning

Control Valve / proportion valve --not right
bad brake caliper
kind of a strange deal not turning to the right
can not think of anything causing that but bent parts / front end not align right

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom