Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adjusting Hydraulic Lifters The Correct Way

You got that right Mac. I could post some interesting pictures of units sent to me to correct, that were supposed to be done correctly by some of the big boys in this business. All were poorly rebuilt, if you can even call it that and all were driven by greed and/or lack of experience.

Gary, the tough part is finding guys like you who do the job right. Mike Rowe is right... we need more skilled workers...

Mac

I remember, way back when, I was taught to set them with the engine running. Like Andy, I was soaked by the time I got it done and we had to clean the engine compartment when I was done. Then someone came up with the idea of cutting the top off an old valve cover to retain most of the oil. I don't remember if the clips came later or if they were available and we were just too cheap to buy them. :D

Yes I did, but only once! Made too darn much of a mess, stunk like crazy, trashed the feeler gauges, and got me so oil
spattered that I had to take a shower and change clothes before I could take the Chevelle for a bath. Learned how to do it
with the engine off and did it that way from then on.......
Tom.........NO clips, just took off the valve covers and had at it. LOL
Andy :w

Wow, ok. Never considered the possibility of running an engine and using feeler gauges, I would think that it would be very hard to get an accurate reading from the feeler gauges with the engine running. I have done many valve adjusts with the engine running with clips and hydraulic lifters and no feeler gauges, but soilds with feeler gauges and the engine running is a bold move in my opinion. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom