Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adjusting The Power Steering Pump Belt Tension

A long time ago I installed two 3/8" X 1" NC bolts into the front of my power steering pump(s) so I would have something to pry on when I adjust the belt tension. There are two 3/8" NC bolt holes in the front of the pump body for attaching the pump to different styles of brackets depending on which G.M. model the pump is being used on so that's where I screwed the two 3/8" X 1" bolts into. The bolts make a dandy place to stick a long screwdriver or 3/8" extension between to pry the pump to tension the belt. By using those bolts I avoid damaging the reservoir of the pump.

Attachments

• 1971 Corvette Power Steering Pump Adjustment Bolts .jpg
    1971 Corvette Power Steering Pump Adjustment Bolts .jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 171
A long time ago I installed two 3/8" X 1" NC bolts into the front of my power steering pump(s) so I would have something to pry on when I adjust the belt tension. There are two 3/8" NC bolt holes in the front of the pump body for attaching the pump to different styles of brackets depending on which G.M. model the pump is being used on so that's where I screwed the two 3/8" X 1" bolts into. The bolts make a dandy place to stick a long screwdriver or 3/8" extension between to pry the pump to tension the belt. By using those bolts I avoid damaging the reservoir of the pump.

Wow, something that may actually be helpful. The only thing that I might add is to put nuts on the bolts to lock them in place so they don't back out and hit the pulley.

Power Steering Pump Belt Tension

The point is NEVER pry against the reservoir because you'll put a big dent in it or cause it to start leaking. By merely screwing two 3/8" X 1" NC bolts into the front of the pump body you can pry against/between the two bolts. Something I learned many years ago when I was adjusting the belt tension on my '82's pump.

Small block Corvettes have a factory installed belt guard retained by two bolts. With those these components in place, a screwdriver can be placed between the bolt head and the pump shaft housing to pry the pump for belt tensioning. No such guard on big blocks?

44015.gif

Good idea the two bolts as I don't have the belt guard anymore. You can also just put them on and off when you need them. :)

Greetings Peter

Great idea tobroke...thanks for sharing.
Doug, thanks for the link to the specialty tool.
Both very useful posts.
:w

@ Mikey - Nope, big blocks don't have a belt guard like small blocks.

I've never use something to pry on the pump (or alternators, for that matter). GM put a pretty good pot handle on the pump. I loosen all the pump mounting bolts, use one hand to pull the pump over to tension the belt and the other to tighten the adjustment bolt. Then tighten the rest of the mounting bolts.

Wow, something that may actually be helpful. The only thing that I might add is to put nuts on the bolts to lock them in place so they don't back out and hit the pulley.

My two bolts are bottomed out AND with blue LocTite on them so they'll stay in place. The two bolts give a really great place to pry against without any fear of distorting the reservoir.

My two bolts are bottomed out AND with blue LocTite on them so they'll stay in place. The two bolts give a really great place to pry against without any fear of distorting the reservoir.

If the bolts are bottomed, there is no bolt stretch; so you need LocTite.

The clamping force created during tightening stretches the bolt similar to a spring. A similar analogy can be made for the joined materials, except they are cmpressed like a spring during assembly. These “springs” exert a clamping force that will remain only as long as the bolts are stretched. Any applied service load or condition, which relaxes the bolt or reduces the clamping force, will release some of the spring’s energy (i.e.: clamp force within the joint). This will increase the chances that the joint may loosen or that the bolts may fail

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article - Bolted Joint Design.pdf

Methods of Tightening Threaded Fasteners
This article explains "Methods of Tightening Threaded Fasteners"

"1. Torque control tightening.

2. Angle control tightening.

3. Yield controlled tightening.

4. Bolt stretch method.

5. Heat tightening.

6. Use of tension indicating methods. "

Interesting "stuff", huh...

As a self-proclaimed and acclaimed engineer you would know about bolt stretch and torque retention as a science. Unless of course you aren't an engineer; a point which you've made painfully obvious...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom