Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

advice on my c3

eclectic74

Corvette
1980 c3 sold, looking for a 82
I have just got a 80 c3 white with oyster interior. It has been 20 years since i had a fun muscle car project. My first vette i have owned but worked on many back in the day. It is going to be my daily driver. I do plan to keep stock for the most part but upgrade what i can. Like simple upgrades; koni shocks, the wilwood calipers from corvette central for example. I do not wanna get radical since it is my driver, plus i like as is.
Any advice would be kosher and greatly appreciated since i have been out of the musclecar and corvette for a long time. I have to learn it all over again, lol. Any simple upgrades and tricks to improve the c3, drop me a line. i did find the a/c blower upgrade which is cool and cant wait to dig into.
I will need to replace the seat covers and foam cushions ? Any suggestions on which place to buy from ? corvette central, mid america, ecklers, ? I know some are better then others, from what i am remember from dealing with year one and others back in the day. I did like how you can buy the foam cushion and covers ready to go.
Thanks for the help and look forward to enjoying wrenching again for fun.

I have just got a 80 c3 white with oyster interior. It has been 20 years since i had a fun muscle car project. My first vette i have owned but worked on many back in the day. It is going to be my daily driver. I do plan to keep stock for the most part but upgrade what i can. Like simple upgrades; koni shocks, the wilwood calipers from corvette central for example. I do not wanna get radical since it is my driver, plus i like as is.
Any advice would be kosher and greatly appreciated since i have been out of the musclecar and corvette for a long time. I have to learn it all over again, lol. Any simple upgrades and tricks to improve the c3, drop me a line. i did find the a/c blower upgrade which is cool and cant wait to dig into.
I will need to replace the seat covers and foam cushions ? Any suggestions on which place to buy from ? corvette central, mid america, ecklers, ? I know some are better then others, from what i am remember from dealing with year one and others back in the day. I did like how you can buy the foam cushion and covers ready to go.
Thanks for the help and look forward to enjoying wrenching again for fun.

Congrats on the Vette- and welcome to the CAC! :thumb

If you plan to use it as a daily driver, I'd leave the factory brake set up alone. Aftermarket brakes are neat but overkill for daily use. The stock brake system works great- you just need to go through it carefully and make sure your lines are bled, calipers are bled, proportioning valve is good, no pin sized holes in the lines or fittings anywhere, and have the run-out set in terms of how the calipers, spindles, and rotors sit. C3 brakes are probably a source of a lot of frustration for owners at times. Check out Vette Brakes- they sell more than just brake components.

Good news about the interior stuff- there are LOTS of vendors who sell what you are looking for. Many are sponsors here on the CAC. The easiest way to replace your seat surfaces is by getting the cushions that are already covered. Costs more than just covers, but it is easy to replace. Plus, you don't have to worry about the foam being worn out because you are putting down new foam.

When you get the chance- share some pictures!!!

eclectic74 Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community...

:thumb on the 1980

I echo what Kane has said and will add... if you wear a size 38" waist or bigger :chuckle I suggest going with the 2" Bolster Backing on the seat new foam. The 4" Bolster Backing is a tight across the back and not all that comfortable ;)

I would also consider having the radiator professional flushed and checked out along with changing ALL the fluids... if you have a 4-Speed my guess is the linkage needs to be tightened up and adjusted, they tend to get sloppy over the years and usually never receive any attention until they are just about worn out..

Lot's a little things too like new rubber for all the suspension links including the rear cross spring end attachments... silicon the rubber around the doors, T-Tops, just some good general TLC and adjustments here and there ;)

Most of all Enjoy the :Steer

Bud

cool thanks for advice and the brake website. Good to know about the 2 vs. the 4 inch bolsters, but i do like a tight fit. I do love the seats minus the splits and tears ;LOL. Kane are you in louisville ? if so, isnt there a corvette cruise and show on a regular basis ? is wilcox corvette still in business in jeffersonville ? And which supplier has the better quality on seat foam /cover combos ? or are they equal in quality ?
I have always tried to do it right the first time with the good quality parts. I really try to stay away from lesser quality parts so i do not have to keep replacing the parts over and over. after being in the auto industry for twenty years i have seen alot of stuff.
I apologize for being long winded :D

welcome to CAC!!!!
congrats on the '80,sweet body style!!!!
I concur with the previous statements on what has been said.
try use our supporting vendors if possible!!!

any questions just ask!!!!!
a lot of us have already been thru this and can help!!!

PS...Kane doesn't have a corvette,he has a T/A!!!!

cool thanks for advice and the brake website. Good to know about the 2 vs. the 4 inch bolsters, but i do like a tight fit. I do love the seats minus the splits and tears ;LOL. Kane are you in louisville ? if so, isnt there a corvette cruise and show on a regular basis ? is wilcox corvette still in business in jeffersonville ? And which supplier has the better quality on seat foam /cover combos ? or are they equal in quality ?
I have always tried to do it right the first time with the good quality parts. I really try to stay away from lesser quality parts so i do not have to keep replacing the parts over and over. after being in the auto industry for twenty years i have seen alot of stuff.
I apologize for being long winded :D

Wilcox is still around. They have always been super helpful. Not much of a showroom because they drop-ship from their suppliers- but lots of great service and advice all the same.

River Cities Corvette Club is still around. They have a cruise-in at the Home Depot on Hurstbourne near Taylorsville Road every second Saturday of each summer month. Nice bunch of folks too.
rivercitiescorvetteclub.com - HOME PAGE

There are cruise nights and other things in the areas here. Lots going on this year!

:thumb

Thanks for the advice. I always like to bounce ideas of people, especially since i have been out of the C3 loop for so long.
I sold the 80 and ripped the guy who sold it to me. when i digged into it there was alot of shady stuff he did. Even though i checked it out.
So i will be hunting for another one. I decided it would be best to start again. I want to get back into crossfire again. Injection and overdrive. I like different, lol.

I do have another question. Have you guys ever used hushmat, eastwood acoustic mat, or fatmat insulation ? I have researched like mad about this stuff and found these are the three best options to address heat and sound dampening. I figure research and then use my money wisely. thanks for the help.

...hushmat, eastwood acoustic mat, or fatmat insulation ?...

They are reasonably good products but you don't need them. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase a roll of Reflectix. Cheaper and does the same as the more expensive stuff.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom