Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Advice on removing Door Panel (lock Knob)

rohard

Corvette
2014 Z51 Coupe and 08 Cooksey ZO6
I am having trouble removing the Door Lock clip on a 65 door panel (passenger side). I have every thing else removed.
I have the shop manual, it says to remove the clip (I have the tool, and it worked fine on the Vent Crank (electric windows), but the door lock is recessed into the door panel and there is no way to get the removal tool in. I even tried from the back (since the panel is now loose) but it will not go. I did a search, found the thread for the 60 vette door panel, but not helpful.

While on the subject, my window has slipped out of the front track, and that is why I am taking the door panel off. Assume that you back of the adjustment on the back channel, reset it in the front channel, and then readjust? Or is there a way to do it w/o taking off the panel.

The old shop manuals are pretty basic, but then so are the cars. Hate to tear up the panel getting it off. Thanks for any advice.

When things get this stressful, don't start ripping off the parts, just step back and breath slowly.

You will have a much easier time in removing the door lock knob by fabbing your own tool. Using a very stiff piece of thin wire, use a pair of long nose pliers to make a small hook on one end. Then depress the panel in the area around the lock knob, and with your other hand, slide the hook that you made between the panel and the rear of the lock knob until you can reach the retaining clip.

You might have to try this on both sides of the knob if it doesn't work on your first try, since the retaining wire could have been inserted on either side of the knob's shoulder.

Stepinwolf

OK, went to the auto parts, bought a O ring set of picks (had a hook on one of them) and use that to "pull it out", and it worked. What a pain. Thanks.

Going to have to replace the channels in the window, it is to lose. Off to the catalogs. Thanks again for the good advice.

just saw this post and i agree with stepinwolf's fix...i use the Mark 1 coat hanger, bend a short section and taper that lip on a grinder....about 4" long and I bend the other end to allow some leverage....this tool works well with door clips, transmission shifter arm clips and as a back scratcher:D

Here's my handy-dandy hook tool, made from an old manual choke cable; also works great for pulling headlamp retaining springs. :)

Here's my handy-dandy hook tool, made from an old manual choke cable; also works great for pulling headlamp retaining springs. :)

AH HA!!!! retaining springs! good point

....stepinwolf, in the business i'm in, you need a REAL thick skin (and a broad sense of humor)

I have used a shop rag to grab that clip.

With all due respect, if we are talking about the same issue, would you please elaborate on your above statement.

I would be very interested to have you explain to me how you are able to stuff a shop rag between the small door lock opening hole in the door panel, and then proceed to wrap that same rag around the retaining clip, before forcibly removing it from the knob.

If you can accomplish this feat with a shop rag, you sure have one over on the women who can remove their bras without first removing their blouse. Quit a feat indeed.:boogie

Robert,

I have done it this way also, use a rag with a "binding" saw it back and forth untill it catches it.

Tom M

If were talking about the horseshoe clip with with the 2 ears just catch the rag on one of the ears and the knob is off. No women or bra's needed but I like the way you think. :D

If were talking about the horseshoe clip with with the 2 ears just catch the rag on one of the ears and the knob is off. No women or bra's needed but I like the way you think. :D

JW,

My apologies for the "unbeliever " in me. Had your post included the simple explanation that Tom has just submitted, I would not have doubted your procedure in any way. ;shrug

I will retire this evening with a little more accumulated knowledge, thanks to your rag.

As for the bra's, I prefer mature women who have so little in that department, that bra's are not needed. :chuckle

Stepinwolf

Hey, I get to do it again, (I ordered new rear felts tonight for the window channels) and will try the rag trip. Very frustrating.

Bob, No apology needed, I learn something new every day. Can't wait till tomorrow. :beer Regards Brian AKA: JW
JW,

My apologies for the "unbeliever " in me. Had your post included the simple explanation that Tom has just submitted, I would not have doubted your procedure in any way. ;shrug

I will retire this evening with a little more accumulated knowledge, thanks to your rag.

As for the bra's, I prefer mature women who have so little in that department, that bra's are not needed. :chuckle

Stepinwolf

I have used a shop rag to grab that clip.

I've used the same thing for several years. Had a post to that regard on the forum a year or so ago, trick was taught to me by a small town body shop friend, they don't have all the "latest" tools. I've also use a bobby pin bent to a hook on the end, hold on with a pair of pliers. They're pretty good steel, got a little spring to them and won't straighten out on you very easily when subjected to a stubborn pull.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom