Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

After market air filter systems

panzer

Corvette
2001 Black Z06
I am a new owner of a a Z06(1 week :) ) and the usual first performace upgrade on my previous cars was to install a after market air filter system. I have been looking at all the ads of course with claims of 10 to 40 hp increase with the installation of their product. I have used K&N in the past but there seems to be a much wider choice for Vettes. Does anyone have any real person data on what has worked for them? Or can you provide a URL to a comparison evaluation of these products? Most of the ads make me think they are selling snake oil. The 40hp claim seems especially suspect, GM could not have put THAT restrictive a stock air filter system on the LS6 engine.

Cool air units on the vettes gives 3% more power than the usual underhood units like the conical K and N filter. (every 10 degree drop in air intake temperature should give 1% more power at speed) Theres about a 30 degree drop in air intake temperature with cold air systems..

Figure a base of about 10 to 15 rwhp from conical type K and N filter.

If you can put the filter over to the drivers side zo6 grill screen..figure an extra couple of ponies as the air vents in there...(halltech) $350 with air bridge (usually 2 bills by itself)

Thats what I threw on..took all of 20 minutes to install..no slicing ..no dicing.. I'm satisfied with this product on my own car..

Or you could go without the cobra bridge and get a Donaldson blackwing..thats not sitting in front of the grill on the drivers side specifically and also do well.

The cold air units like Halltects TRIC, BBp Vortex, C/r motorsports/ or Vararam..which should all get a better blast of cool air.. at speed.. cause the filters are more in the path of cool outside air.

Is it worth it to you to cut the shroud? Replace the shroud..?

On my second vette I didn't want to bother.. (JMO)

I spotted and thought you might be interested in checking this out... Dave, the gentlemen who made this post on another forum says he sold his ZO6 and..the Halltech sidewinder is for sale..if its the carbon fiber one and you like the carbon fiber look..its a pretty Good deal I don't know Dave but if talk to him..you'll find out if this works for you and if he's a straight shooter.

Halltech T1 Sidewinder
Sold the Z06, bought a new vert....Put the Z back bone stock...
I am selling The T1 intake, carbon fiber, complete with the race filter and the street filter...I paid over 600 for intake and filters, relatively new condition of course....I will sell for $365.00 shipped to you in the US.....Email me at vetter345@aol.com, or call at 423-753-0375...Thanks, Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom