Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket Catalytic Cnvt hurt resale???

EttevroC

Corvette
1989 Convertible
Will replacing the 3 Catalytic Converts with a single aftermarket one hurt resale down the road???

The shop says it can't find OEM Cats for my 89 and wants to replace them with an aftermarket for $1000.00, is that reasonable?

Thanks

They are ripping you off. You can get a random technology cat for under $400 and it flows the best, probably 20 HP. Or go with a straight pipe for about $50 off of ebay, bolts right in place of old cat, probably 25 HP.

I've read about Random Tech before, thanks for the suggestion. Do you think down the road I wished I kept the exhaust stock or does that really not matter for collectible?

Just keep your old front Y-pipe and 3 cats in the shed and get a new front Y pipe with no cats and put on 1 random cat. If your car is totally stock than it might hurt resale but you will get some performance back. Those are the best wheels on the C4 I would stick with them. They are still flashy even in todays standards.

Thanks, that's a good idea! I already have the original wheels in storage, I bought exact replacements which were Chromed; to tell you the truth, I like the originals better.

I've read about Random Tech before, thanks for the suggestion. Do you think down the road I wished I kept the exhaust stock or does that really not matter for collectible?

I don't know how old you are but you'll be very old before these cars become collectibles.

Maybe so, but that could have been said about any Gen of Vette at one time or an other.

Maybe so, but that could have been said about any Gen of Vette at one time or an other.

I'm not trying to dis your car, I love C4s. If you're concerned about collectibility and original parts then replace the exhaust now and hold on to the parts you remove so you can replace them later.

Well I ended up ordering Dynomax from Ecklers, it came with the Y pipe and was less than $400. Installation ended up being about $300 but that includes diagnosing the problem, installing a new O2 sensor and AIR system.

None of the main Corvette Parts Retailers sell Random Tech and I was pressed for time. I've heard good things about Dynomax exhaust systems and so I took a chance that the Cats would be good too.

I'll update this thread and let you know how things went when I get the vette back.

Thanks, that's a good idea! I already have the original wheels in storage, I bought exact replacements which were Chromed; to tell you the truth, I like the originals better.

I prefer your rims in the original satin.

Will replacing the 3 Catalytic Converts with a single aftermarket one hurt resale down the road???
The only resale concern I can think of would be that if they use non-CARB-certified parts, then it won't be legal in the CARB states.

The shop says it can't find OEM Cats for my 89 and wants to replace them with an aftermarket for $1000.00, is that reasonable?
Seems pretty high.

None of the main Corvette Parts Retailers sell Random Tech...
If you are inclined to buy parts from the "main corvette parts retailers" then you might as well pay the $1k. Going to get raped either way...

Do you think down the road I wished I kept the exhaust stock or does that really not matter for collectible?
If your car has enough miles to need a cat, then it has near zero collector value.

Look at the production numbers of the older vettes you are thinking of as collectible, then look at the production numbers of L98 C4 verts.

I'm one for being prepared, who knew that PoC Chargers and Barracuda’s were going to be 100k dollar cars some day. :L

Not to long ago late model C3s were said to not be collectable, I believe their value are going up because I not many of them left on the road. Most have been sent off to the scrap yard, while other have been chopped up.

I don't mind people modifying their Vettes, I actually love seeing how talented people are in making their cars unique... but the more people who think C4s are worthless and start chopping them up, the more a stock C4 will be worth down the road. It's just a matter of supply and demand.

I may be a Pollyanna to believe my beloved Vette may be worth more down the road if were completely stock than modified, but I'm willing to take that chance.

Unfortunately my cats were done in by a bad O2 sensor.

Not a bad hobby, there is another C4 I would love to add to my collection, any of the ZR-1s. (Most beautiful Engine I've ever seen, and not a bad looking body ether. :)

Unfortunately my garage is a converted summer kitchen and there is barely enough room for my baby.

Not a bad hobby, there is another C4 I would love to add to my collection, any of the ZR-1s. (Most beautiful Engine I've ever seen, and not a bad looking body ether. :)

Unfortunately my garage is a converted summer kitchen and there is barely enough room for my baby.

Converted summer kitchen? Thats crazy talk!

Sure enough is... from the Great White North's perspective, but down south where summers are a little hotter :chuckle, people would build sperate buildings to house kitchens so not to heat up the main house... hense the name Summer Kitchen.

I never heard of summer kitchens eather until I moved down here...

Back in the 1930's my house's summer kitchen was moved closer to the road and turned into a garage. Now I'm planning on adding on to it to make it larger, to get another vette, maybe. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom