Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket exhaust system recommendation?

Blu ByU

Corvette
'04 CE LeMans Blue Coupe, 1978 Pace Car
I'm considering replacing the stock exhaust system on my 94 with something that will SOUND a little better. I'm not worried so much about increasing the performance (though I wouldn't mind) but I would like the car to sound a little throatier (is that a word?). I don't want something that will wake people up, but definitely would like to go a notch above the stock system. I've read through the FAQ, but haven't really been able to weed out a good answer. Can anybody throw a few suggestions my way? Thanks!

The Magnaflow Stainless Steel Exhaust sound/look great on our cars and you can get them for under $350.00 shipped from performancepeddler.com. They advertise a higher price but, if you call them, they will negotiate. I think it is part# 15623. Check 'em out!

I cut the mufflers off, and did straight pipe from the resonator back. Sounds great to me. I did it on my '93, and on my current '96

JEFNLSA said:
The Magnaflow Stainless Steel Exhaust sound/look great on our cars and you can get them for under $350.00 shipped from performancepeddler.com. They advertise a higher price but, if you call them, they will negotiate. I think it is part# 15623. Check 'em out!
Those do look great (in fact that is one of the prettiest black vettes I've ever seen). Can you give me any idea on how they sound? Again, I don't want to go to an obnoxious sound level, but do want something more aggresive than the stock pipes. Thanks for the reply!

Blu ByU said:
Those do look great (in fact that is one of the prettiest black vettes I've ever seen). Can you give me any idea on how they sound? Again, I don't want to go to an obnoxious sound level, but do want something more aggresive than the stock pipes. Thanks for the reply!
First off..thx :)

Secondly...the stock exhaust is just too quiet. I could hear my motor over the exhaust and I wanted to hear my car w/o offending the entire neighborhood. This system is definitely louder than stock but it's a nice healthy rumble that is exactly what I was looking for. Obviously it is loudest behind the car but not obnoxious. It sounds deep and "throaty". Basically, I don't know how else to put it...like a Vette should sound! The only resonance (and it is not much) I get is if I cruise at 55mph or less in 6th...which I rarely do.:D

Also...the system is well made and easy to install. I paid a local shop 80.00 to put 'em on. They are not aluminum like many systems and they shine real nice and bottom line...look/sound good!

You are going to get alot of different opinions on exhaust here (and I'm sure that they'll all be good ones) but for me the Magnaflow were just right.

try these guys-www.corvettecentral.com their prices are as good as I have seen.I think I am going to go with the muffler eliminators.

What about the "Chambered Pipes" muffler replacements?

How is the sound, inside & out?

You want NOISE?
Flowmasters!! Noise outside and inside

I use Dynomax:upthumbs

PLRX787 said:
You want NOISE?
Flowmasters!! Noise outside and inside

So true!:L My neighbor even comments that he knows when I leave in the morning because he "hears the Flowmasters." :L

Thanks for the advice guys. After doing some research I took Jeff's advice and ordered the Magnaflows. And you were right Jeff, Performance Peddlers gave me a great price over the phone. They should be delivered next week, I'll let you know how I like them after I get them on.

I know, Edmond will say Flowmaster and Jeff will say Magnaflow. And I will say 'how deep are your pockets?'

Magnaflow is a much cheaper solution and sounds the right way to go. I would certainly like to hear both of them before the investment. For the time being I am sticking to my stock mufflers; no budget available yet... :cry

I also like Jeff's wheels; what make are those JEFNLISA???

SSTibet said:
I would certainly like to hear both of them before the investment. For the time being I am sticking to my stock mufflers; no budget available yet... :cry
If you go to Magnaflow's web site, they have some clips on there where you can hear the exhaust systems in use. I don't know how accurately they sound over a set of speakers, but it's kind of a neat feature.

http://www.magnaflow.com/

I have Corsa catbacks on my '93, sounds great and they look nice

Chambered Exhaust

I just installed the aluminized chambered exhaust I bought at Carlisle last Summer. Haven't driven it yet (NE Ohio Winter), but it sounds great! I also put on a new front Y without cats and put in a new main cat.
Allen's Stainless Exhaust
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]US 24 West P.O. Box 736, Logansport, Indiana 46947[/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](574) 722-7272 FAX: (574) 722-4066[/font]​

Blu ByU said:
Thanks for the advice guys. After doing some research I took Jeff's advice and ordered the Magnaflows. And you were right Jeff, Performance Peddlers gave me a great price over the phone. They should be delivered next week, I'll let you know how I like them after I get them on.
Cool....you won't be disappointed.:upthumbs
Make sure when you install (or have them installed) that you get them level and sticking out the same amount before you weld 'em. Also, they come w/ new brackets and you will want to bend each of those a bit in order to get the mufflers to suck up under the car. You'll see what I mean. And lastly...the holes in the brackets may not line up perfectly w/ the muffler hanger hole. No biggee...you just need to snip or grind a little off the end of the bracket and they'll line up perfectly.

I got all this info from different members here so I was totally prepared for this when it was time for the install. Gotta love the CAC!

Let me know how you like 'em!
Jeff

SSTibet said:
also like Jeff's wheels; what make are those JEFNLISA???
Selim,
They are the 5 spoke ZR1 style wheels in chrome...9.5" w/ Vette (flag) emblem on center caps. You can find them thru Ecklers etc...I had Cn'V (where I bought the car) add those before I bought it cuz I'd seen other C4's w/ them and really thought they looked good. Now I'm running 275/40/17's all the way around. I like the look/feel and it makes tire rotation easy.
See ya,

Jeff :w

Jeff,
Thx muxh for the info. From the picture your rear wheels look larger to me and back of the car somewhat raised; am I getting an illusion here?

Selim

SSTibet said:
Jeff,
Thx muxh for the info. From the picture your rear wheels look larger to me and back of the car somewhat raised; am I getting an illusion here?

Selim
It is an "illusion" sir...:)
The pic gave the car that stance but the wheels/tires are the same size all the way around.
Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom