Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Aftermarket Radio Install

FXCJR

Corvette
2008 Coupe Crystal Red
I have a 2008 Coupe with the Bose system, Non-Nav XM Radio installed. I am considering installation of an aftermarket Nav radio. I have read that I will lose all HUD functionality with any aftermarket install. Can anyone verify this.

The Nav radio was already gone when I bought 007 and the HUD was working. I've changed the radio twice since then and it still works.

BTW, Welcome to CAC. Post some pictures of your car when you have time.

Look around for the various adapters, etc. that get sold as add-ons to the aftermarket radio. I added an aftermarket radio to a Dodge Charger and out of the box it lost all the integrated functionality. I bought the aftermarket wiring harness and a "translator" and everything worked. They are all plug and play.

2008 Chevy Corvette OE Wiring Harnesses & Stereo Adapters — CARiD.com

Thanks for the replies. I'm still reading in various places that there is some use of HUD functions. I think it's in the Nav functions that show up on the HUD which wouldn't affect me since I don't have Nav now. I was more concerned with keeping the Speedometer data. Radio and turn signal data also show on my HUD. Can anyone tell me if the adaptors will allow me to keep this.

I recently bought a 2013 C6 Coupe with an aftermarket sound system in it. To be honest, that almost stopped me from buying the car, but after inspecting the install and quality of components used (used to work in that business years ago), I bought it anyway. It's got a Kenwood head unit in it and all HUD functions seem to work as far as I can tell. Not having seen the OEM setup, I can't comment about losing Nav functions in the HUD, but everything else seems to work. The head unit has Apple Car Play, so I'm not worried about that function. As an aside, teh steering wheel mounted controls seem to work fine as well, so it may just come down to the quality of the installer.

Thanks to all for input. I'm going to go ahead with the install. Only other concern is whether I can use factory XM antenna with replacement XM receiver.

Thanks to all for input. I'm going to go ahead with the install. Only other concern is whether I can use factory XM antenna with replacement XM receiver.

That's a good question. I want to add the optional XM receiver to my system later this week. I'll let you know what the shop says.

Did any of the aftermarket installs retain use of the factory microphone for Bluetooth or do I need to use the mic that comes with the aftermarket radio? I'm trying to not clutter up the cockpit.

I'm guessing that microphone can't be used, in both cases where I've had aftermarket radios installed they added a new microphone.

But, I think that the XM/Sirius antennae can be used.

Did any of the aftermarket installs retain use of the factory microphone for Bluetooth or do I need to use the mic that comes with the aftermarket radio? I'm trying to not clutter up the cockpit.

I'll ask them that when I'm in as well. Mine has what looks like a stock microphone that's mounted near the top of the driver's side A pillar. I know the hands free works with the replacement Kenwood. I usually use a Plantronics BT headset for better sound quality on the other end of the call as I often take or make business calls in the car, so I haven't used it much, but if it is teh factory mic and works, I think it's the best location of any HF mic I've seen.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom