Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Aftermarket wheel fit

Johan

Corvette
1974 red coupe, 1969 yellow vert
Hello everybody,
I'm thinking of buying a set of 17" wheels, something like this:
17" 17x8 17x9 GRAY WHEELS TIRES CHEVY CAMARO 73-74:eBay Motors (item 330371296059 end time Nov-24-09 07:50:09 PST)

Short question; will they fit? What is the difference between camaro and corvette fit really? Isn't the rallye wheels the same?

Second, will a 17x9 wheel (0 offset) fit in the rear with standard trailing arms?

Final question: the wheels are listed like this:

17x8" wheels: 0mm offset (4.50" backspacing) 1 1/2" Lip Size

17x9" wheels: 0mm offset (5.00" backspacing) 2 1/2" Lip Size

I thought that 8" wide with 0 offset would mean 4.00" backspacing, where does the extra half inch come from?

/Johan

17x9's all around, 4" rear backspacing and 4-1/2 on the front. NO mods to anything and no rubbing anywhere. I did add a 3/8 spacer on the rear, the tire was not rubbing but it was closer to the parking brake bracket than I was comfortable with.
Tires are 295/40 and 275/40 Goodyear Eagle F1-GS/D3

DSC00145.jpg

Nice car and wheels!
So, in reality you have 3-5/8 backspacing in the rear? Wich means that with a 9" wide rim and 5" backspacing I would need rather big spacers?

I thought that 8" wide with 0 offset would mean 4.00" backspacing, where does the extra half inch come from?

/Johan

Backspacing (called "rear spacing" in the diagram below) is measured from the hub mounting surface to the outer edge of the inboard rim flange; rim width is measured from the inside-to-inside of the rim flanges. Offset is measured from the plane of the hub mounting surface to the plane of the centerline of the rim (just above "negative <---> positive" in the diagram).

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom