Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AIR and A/C delete on '86 L98

Paddywhack

Corvette
1986 Dark red coupe
Does anybody know if there are any repercussions for eliminating these items? Just seems that it would clean up the engine compartment greatly and since i'm stripping down the engine, now might be the time. Thanks in advance.
:w

AIR can be deleted if you have no emissions testing but the A/C is another story. If you like to ride in a sauna fine, these cars need A/C in warm/hot weather.

Stripping down the engine? Why?

No idea how many miles are on it....also has severe knocking under a load and sometimes sounds like there is no oil in it, although the dash reads 45 to 55 lbs. So I figure at least a simple rebuild is in order...and maybe while apart a few extras might be in the cards.

Unless you know a great deal about tuning or plan on having it retuned, to account for the modifications you plan to do, just rebuild it and leave it as-is, do not delete anything. Depending on your rebuild, you will probably benefit from a tune anyhow, but do not delete things for no reason, it just depletes the value of the vehicle. A hacked-up Corvette is a terrrible thing.

CG

Unless you know a great deal about tuning or plan on having it retuned, to account for the modifications you plan to do, just rebuild it and leave it as-is, do not delete anything. Depending on your rebuild, you will probably benefit from a tune anyhow, but do not delete things for no reason, it just depletes the value of the vehicle. A hacked-up Corvette is a terrrible thing.

CG
Thanks CG, I didnt look at it as a hacked up Corvette, but you got a good point there. I'm sure during the rebuild, I'll be asking many, many more questions. I came over from the Tri-Five forums when I bought my Vette a year and a half or so. My last rebuild was a '57 283. This one doesnt look like its gonna be as easy, so I'll be checkin' in often, I'm sure.
:confused

do not delete anything. .. do not delete things for no reason, it just depletes the value of the vehicle. A hacked-up Corvette is a terrrible thing.

It is all reversible .Put the parts on the shelf and reinstall them for resale.

AIR and A/c easily removed by making custom brace for alt and using shorter belt.
Dependent apon model year; a regular rotation water pump may be needed

Corvette Forum - View Single Post - Those who have deleted the AC without a delete pulley

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1566807620-post51.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1565363962-post18.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1565366997-post20.html

Unless you know a great deal about tuning or plan on having it retuned, to account for the modifications you plan to do, just rebuild it and leave it as-is, do not delete anything.
AIR deleting in the chip is very simple, and if not will have very little effect on the tune. AC, if not 'on', will not do anything from the perspective of the tune, or the way it runs.
it just depletes the value of the vehicle. A hacked-up Corvette is a terrrible thing. CG
holy crap, I better hurry up and put the stock slow parts back on...:rotfl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom