Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air bags and children

GrayBeard

Corvette
!988 Bright Red Coupe, Z51, Cold air intake, Short
Here in NY a child under 4' 10" cannot ride in the front seet of an automobile with active passenger airbags.
Does anyone know if it is possible to deactivate the passenger airbag in a C-4

Here in NY a child under 4' 10" cannot ride in the front seet of an automobile with active passenger airbags.

Yes it is, contact your BMV or go on their website and there are forms to send in and a kit to purchase ( the on off switch ). I live in Indiana and got the forms, sent in and my VIN came back for a cadilac escalade so I didnt go any further, I just set the seat back and down as far as it would go till she got bigger. Indiana really doesnt have a code for it or at least the vette was within its limits, it was just a safty concern.

Thanks. That gives me someplace to start.

The procedure for disabling and/or removing is in the service manual. Basically you just have to unplug a couple of connectors. I'd go ahead and remove the bag as well.

What was the first year for airbags in the C4??

Thanks all for the help. My 88 has both passenger and driver airbags.

Thanks again for the help.

In one of my old Vette books I think I read that 94 was the first year for pass air bags.

To All,

Thankyou for all the help. I was looking for a non-existant component and after getting my car out of storage to check, varified that my car does not have airbags. Sorry for the snipe hunt but I was concerned about taking my grandson out with me.

Thanks again,

Greybeard

Its ok, you were thinking of your grandson, and thats what we're all here for.

1994 was the first year for "passenger side" air bag. Unless of course you have Paris Hilton in there with you....oh wait, she's an air head....sorry for the confusion.;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom