Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Cleaner Lid Modification

Emtmike

Corvette
1981 Biege & Dark Bronze Coupe
Here is a small modification I did to my '81 air cleaner lid :thumb. Some of the older guys will remember taking their air cleaner lid and turning it upside down to not only to get more air, but it made a really cool sound when you jumped on it :cool. I found out you can do this on an '81 or possibly other years since when you do this the hood won't shut :eek:hnoes. I have a good friend that is a tool machinest that I gave my idea to, and he was able to modify my lid the way I wanted :beer. I still need to put the black screen behind the slots, but you can see the extra air goes through the filter :cool.

DSCF2540.jpg

Not by much since the slots are small, and there are only 8, and the screening will help out more by breaking up the air more as it enters the canister. I agree that the colder the air, the better it is for the engine, so this was just an experiment to see how it works out :thumb.

If you have the change (some day) I would like to see the difference between this lid and a normal one on a dyno :)

Greetings Peter

:w Mike,

I attacked the airflow a little differently ;)

First thing I did was to toss the Carbon Filter glued inside the base of the air cleaner. The replaceable filter fits around the Charcoal Filter, and the Charcoal Filter is pretty restrictive in it's own rights. So if you haven't removed it, your quad will sound like the quads of days gone by and breath a little better.

Then I ... (following is from a previous post ;) )
I traced the bottom of the air filter onto 1/8" masonite board, cut it out then put it in the bottom of the air cleaner with the air filter on top ;) That way it still filters out all the junk and I can still use stock sized filters.

I looked off and on for a filter that was exact in dia. and 1/8" higher, but never found one, so one day I used cardboard cutouts until I found the height that I could still use the original carb bolt yet get the max clearance with air to the carb and still get the hood to close properly ;)

attachment.php

Bud

Just another way of looking at things ;)

Bud

I remember my 71 Nova. Took the stock air cleaner and cut both the top and bottom along the circle that the filter element went to. Sounded great. Too cheap to just buy one back then!
I also was one of those guys to flip the lid upside down on my 69 GTO.
Neither car had any factory cold air ducting, just the snorkles. So they sucked hot underhood air anyway.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom