Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Cleaner

LMN8R

Corvette
1998 Black Coupe
2 issues, one that's driving me nuts, and the other is just curiosity.

1. The air filter "latches" that hold the air cleaner in are constantly coming undone. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Are the K&N air filters any good? Is there any point in putting them under the hood of a C5 with the already restrictive air intakes?

The air box latches on my 1999 C5 coupe (built 8/98) kept popping open too. The dealer replaced the latches under the new car warranty. The technician said the he had several "late" 1998 and "early" C5's with latches that kept popping open.

The latches are very easy to replace and are sold separately. The air box must be removed to replace them.

Good luck.

AIR FILTER LATCHES

Mine pop open too. I put a K&N filter in there and I did not notice the latches coming open until after I put that in there. I did notice that it makes it easier to close the latches if you snag the the latch hooks in, then lift up un the latches, before rotating them down.
I take my car down the drag strip on occasion and I put the K&N filter in and cut a hole in my airbox at the same time. I gained 0.2-0.3 seconds with those mods.

Thanks, guys, I'll go get some new ones and throw them on, probably along with a K&N.

Hi there,
If you dont want to spend the money, I do the following.
If you look at the latch itself, see where the plastic contacts the air cleaner box.
Well, at that point, simply file a little of the plastic off the latch. I usually take off about a 1/8 inch.
It works every time.
YoursinCorvette, c4c5:hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom