Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air filters and induction-

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
I'd rather have a Donaldson/Blackwing
BLACKWING.jpg

DarkShark78 said:
http://rekl.no-ip.org/c5/af2/

Anyone seen this done? Does it work well?
There are plenty of intake systems on the market. That appears to be one of several dual intake varieties. This one, for example, is sold by West Coast Corvette. http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/images/parts/dulflowblue.jpg

I read somewhere, however, that the dual snorkle tubes may cause air turbulence that isn't conducive to making horsepower. I really do not know if that is true or not. I like Vettex2's suggestion of the blackwing better and I can highly recommend the Vortex ram air induction system.

Cutout front airbox-and AFE oiled gauze filter--best bang and gains for the buck-period!:upthumbs:Twist:m

IMHO, if you have an otherwise stock car, don't waste you money on an aftermarket intake. Contrary to popular belief, a stock LS1 gets all the air it needs from the factory intake. A Z06 air box lid is cost effective and will give you the same "results" than any other intake would on an stock engine.

Remember that a CAI will require a performance tune to take advantage of the extra air flow. Also.... more money does not mean a better product.

Remember that a CAI will require a performance tune to take advantage of the extra air flow.

I don't believe that is necessary for off the shelf CAI kits. The computer "learns" in response to small changes like that. A little driving will be all that is needed.

Been there done that........

The Vararam is a product that produces clear results on your timeslip. (If thats the goal)

It does require some skill to install and but doesnt look as "Cool" as the dual cone setup. It does NOT need a tune to work up to its full potential, and a consistant 2 to 3 tenths on a bone stock LS1 is a huge improvement.

And unless you drive through standing water over 6 inches deep its extreemly unlikely you will experiance hydro lock.

I don't believe that is necessary for off the shelf CAI kits. The computer "learns" in response to small changes like that. A little driving will be all that is needed.
I agree! Our computers are very smart and will relearn within a few hundred miles of driving. I have the RM Racing twin cone intake TI catabacks, and a Hypertech tuner on a stock LS1 motor and I get great gas mileage and damn plenty enough HP to scare the crap out of me!! ;LOL;LOL;LOL

Have fun with your car!!! :thumb

Been there done that........

The Vararam is a product that produces clear results on your timeslip. (If thats the goal)

It does require some skill to install and but doesnt look as "Cool" as the dual cone setup. It does NOT need a tune to work up to its full potential, and a consistant 2 to 3 tenths on a bone stock LS1 is a huge improvement.

And unless you drive through standing water over 6 inches deep its extreemly unlikely you will experiance hydro lock.
I agree

If you want to know how efficient, or how good your intake system is there is a way to measure this. I was able to get .1psi. of boost off a custom Vararam mini setup. If you have a programmer and can read your MAP psi in real time, then you can use the tool on the open road to see how good your intake works. With the engine off and key on you can take a reading of say 14.7psi. at sea level, or whatever yours will read. Start your engine and you will be in the negetive psi. You have to overcome that 14.7psi. on the open road starting way south of 14.7psi. I was able to see 14.8psi. This isn't as easy as it sounds, and most will never touch the 14.7psi. or their initial reading with the engine off. I tried everything, had K&N's, blackwings, etc., It takes some doing. A real free flowing ram air system with good velocity is hard to achieve due to the physical restraints of getting that duct to your throttlebody with minimal pressure drop.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom