Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air intake suggestions / thoughs

C5 Don

Corvette
'98 C5, Light Carmine red metalic coupe.
Air intake suggestions / thoughts

I own a '98 Coupe and am considering replacing the stock air intake with something less restrictive. I see lots of options but am wondering if some of the community members here have had some experience (good or bad) with different models. I'm not looking for or expecting big HP gains but anything that might help it breathe a little better is a benefit. It's a stock LT1 with auto trans 95K miles and runs great. I bought the car last Oct. to drive daily since retiring last year. I recently replaced the harmonic balancer, A/C compressor, condenser, belt tensioner,idler pulley, belts, etc. Any experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Don

Last edited:
When I bought my 2000 hardtop, in addition to a Borla cat-back exhaust system, it had a VaraRam C5 Power Duct, VaraRam V8 velocity stack and one of those inverted Y-shaped intake setups that have a cone filter on each end of the Y legs. I had removed the intake set up and found the velocity stack when it popped out but I didn't know what it was or how it was supposed to be installed so I looked up VaraRam on the internet to learn more about their stuff VaraRam Products. I called them to make sure I put the velocity stack back in correctly and put it all back together. I don't race the car and haven't had it dyno'd but it sounded and felt as if the engine spooled up a little quicker because it caught me off guard the first time I stepped into the throttle. Later I decided to get rid of the no-name filters and Y pipe in favor of an Airaid 861-042 dry filter 2000 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L V8 Gas Performance Parts | Airaid. Again, using only the old butt-o-meter, I think the car feels like it's breathing somewhat better. The Airaid filter is pretty large so I imagine that it is flowing more air. It is also somewhat louder under acceleration, but not objectionably so. Ultimately, it pulls a little harder now. I've had oiled filters that worked well on other cars but tired of the cleaning and reoiling process which is why I bought the Airaid filter. It still needs washed out but not oiled, although they offer an identical oiled version.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom