Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Pump

B

Beau

I saw the Air Pump Eliminator Pulley in an Ecklor's catalog, and was wondering if anyone can tell me, if I eleminate my air pump, would it affect my cat at all? My understanding was that it pumps air into the cat or something...? Please tell me if this is incorrect or what. Also if you think this would be a worth while mod. Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreicated thank you :)

Beau

Do it......it realeses some drag on the motor by getting rid of the air pump. You also shed a couple pounds, your motor looks better, & that area of the motor is easier to work on:)
Shouldn't effect the cat at all........just plug the air lines.

Jay

Beau said:
I saw the Air Pump Eliminator Pulley in an Ecklor's catalog, and was wondering if anyone can tell me, if I eleminate my air pump, would it affect my cat at all? My understanding was that it pumps air into the cat or something...? Please tell me if this is incorrect or what. Also if you think this would be a worth while mod. Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreicated thank you :)

Beau

i have one for sale here: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=495961#post495961 notice it is highly polished WITH Polished Aluminium Pulley.. it a good deal! :)

it does free up horsepower....also have one set of block off EGR, EGR sensor plates for $25.00 shipping included on this item only, but if you take both i will include it with air pump eliminator.. let me know please

Its purpose is to only get the cats warmed up earlier, its not running when the engine is hot. You can delete it and not worry about much of anything.

Its going to drop some weight, and clean up the appearance, but as for HP gains....dont expect much, probably not more than 1-2.

vader86 said:
Its purpose is to only get the cats warmed up earlier, its not running when the engine is hot. You can delete it and not worry about much of anything.

Its going to drop some weight, and clean up the appearance, but as for HP gains....dont expect much, probably not more than 1-2.

yuppers he's right!....

When you spin it with your fingers, you'll see how little power it drains.

That air is directed to various parts of the exhaust system, depending upon conditions. It is too long to explain it all here. Besides, nearly everyone else will urge you to take it off.

I would question if the CAT will plug up sooner without the air being fed from the pump, but it's not my money.

Try spinning the pump after you get it out to see how little power it takes. It is not a supercharger that is eating up gobs of power. In fact I doubt that you could find a dyno sensitive enough to detect that it's missing.

I guess the weight issues would be real and appearance comes down to personal preference.

The purpose of the pump is to provide additional air to the cat to burn off what ever is left over from combustion in the cylinder. Think of an oxy-acetylene torch. With the oxygen off the acetylene will still burn and produce a lot of soot, but when you turn on the oxy it burns more complete and cleaner.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom