Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Shocks

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
I installed air shocks on my 76 a few years ago and while I think they work great I have not heard of anyone using air shocks on our cars and I was wondering why. I put the air input valve in the battery compartment. These shocks also raise the rear end of the car a little while giving me a great feel and keep the wheels on the road. Just interested in why this type of shock is not more popular with the C3.

Well I think I finally did it, posted a subject that had no interest at all for this forum. Oh well

Actually I am interested, but I have no answers. This should move it back into line and maybe we will get some comments.

Mike

Maybe I am way off here but, I think putting anymore undue stress on a 30+ year old fiberglass body by adjusting ride height by any means is just asking for problems down the road. Adding more pressure to the strut rod and bushings, and strut rod support is not recommended. I would think the suspension front to rear would be effected in one way or another by adjusting ride height using air shocks. A good KYB or Bilstein gas shock should keep your ride tracking down the road for many years. jmo
Brian

An air shock is simply a standard shock with an external airbag surrounding it. The airbag acts as a 'helper' for the main spring in cases where it is worn out and sagging, or there is a temporary excess baggage load inside the car.

They're not intended as a tuning tool for handling or for permanent ride height modification.

In my younger days we would run air shocks as a cheap way to raise the rear in order to run a wider tire, plus we thought it looked "cool". The more expensive way was to change out/modify suspension parts. You can adjust the ride height I've been told on the vette by changing the bolts in the rear, so not sure why anyone would want air shocks on their vette. I've got the z51 handling package on my 84 with bilstein shocks and dont think the car would handle the major curves I've been around in my vette as good with air shocks. Never really liked the ride of air shocks, ah but the things we do to "be cool" when young.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom