Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Airbags Not deploying

C

corvette0901

I was hit from behind with me at a stop and the car behind me going about 35-40 MPH. I was pushed into the car in front of me which hit the next two cars and my car, was the only one who's airbags didn't deploy. I have yet to get a straight answer from the dealership or Chevrolet! Has anyone else had this problem. I'm also looking to hire someone who can go out and review what the dealership is telling me and see what they are fixing and not fixing. My car looks like the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz and I'm very concerned about how it will run when I get it back. Any suggestions are welcome.

Front Airbags are designed to deploy in a frontal crash, not when you are rear ended. It takes an equivalent force of about a 35 mph front hit to set off the bags if i remember right.

If your car was at a stop and you were hit from behind, your air bag should not deploy unless the accident was at a higher impact, 35+. I understand that your car was hit in front as well, but those other cars that deployed were unnecessary since you were all stoped. It is going to cost them more to fix. There should be no problem. Just have the sensors checked to make sure everything is ok. I know this because I have a friend who works in the auto repair business. He says that air bags should not deploy from minor fender benders and are made to deploy at speeds of 35+. He said it can actually cause injuries because you will not expect it to deploy.

HI there,
Yes, as dealer tech has stated, is absolutely correct.
You must register vehicle center line, and reference 30 degrees from that point, to the left or the right, when you are moving forward.
As for the rest, thank god your bags have operated as designed, otherwise you could have been severely hurt.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Airbags

Thanks much for the feedback...

Hope you had a great weekend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom