Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Al Knoch convertible top video

harland

Corvette
1961 fawn beige convertible
Wonder if anyone has the video for a 1961 top installation to rent or sell used? I wonder also if a good upholsterer (not me) could follow it with reasonable success? I know some tops are very tricky to install-have tension cables,etc. The Corvette top may be harder, though, than some of the small cars like a Capri,etc. Any advice will be appreciated. thanks, Harland

convertible top video

I rented it when I did my '61; excellent info; any top guy should have no problem following Al's instructions.

I have one (videos) for my 68 the cables ore 68-75 only. I will be attempying the install myself when the weather gets a little better.

Good luck w/ that Craig.. My 68 top frame is in excellant shape. But the orig. top defin.looks 40 years old but still intact. Just hate to remove it,lots of history and dont plan on using it much..

My 68 came only with the hard top I am piecing together a soft top; it is a challenge I have watched the Video twice and will probably watch it twice more before doing it. I bought a soft top frame on e-bay for 68-75 that has the channel for the tack strip 1/2" deep (the tack strips are only 1/4 thick); the Vynal top I bought on Ebay is by Electron Top and is installed differently then the Al Knoch tops. They sell only to professional trim shops and were curious how I aquired it.;LOL

'rent' video?

Hi, I thought the $80. or so price was for ownership of the video? Does Knoch rent these-i.e. you get a refund when it's returned OK? Please clarify or I guess I could call their 800 #. thanks, Harland

Hi, I thought the $80. or so price was for ownership of the video? Does Knoch rent these-i.e. you get a refund when it's returned OK? Please clarify or I guess I could call their 800 #. thanks, Harland

the one for a 78-75 was $59.95 to buy.

Short on material

Over the years, many installers have complained that the material to the rear bow in 1" too:boogie short. Al says no, it is perfect.

So you will need a professional to help you get it correct.

I know they have to fit tight, but I don't understand why many of the long time professional Corvette Restoration Shops all ***** about how short the material is.

Bloomington Gold will probably have instalations at the show as well as Corvettes at Carlisle..........if you can wait that long and are close to an event.

Over the years, many installers have complained that the material to the rear bow in 1" too:boogie short.

thats just what the top manufacturer told me that the installers complained about the type with the bead (origional) so they went to a glue on rear bow. I am just doing this install so I don't have to worry about the weather when I drive it, it will not be a "correct" car but a Driver with many upgrades over time. The paint looks good but is not done correctly and will be eventually be redone at that point in time I will put a Al Knoch top on it and be good for the rest of my lifetime.:D

Got one

Harlan,

Just saw your post. 7 or 8 years ago I bought one and made a copy of it "just cuz" It still should be OK and the top turned out OK for a driver (probably took me 15 hrs vs. 2 for a pro). Email me your address and I'll send the copy to you.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom