Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

All-Wheel Drive?

CORVETTE AWD

You forgot Porsche - the 993 was the first turbocharged Porsche with all wheel drive in 1993. The new twin turbo 911 has all wheel drive and 480 horsepower, and turns the quarter-mile in 11.7 seconds (zero to 60 in 3.7 seconds) according to Road and Track Magazine. But the base price is $122,900. You can buy a Z-06 and a nice sedan for that.

Hey dudes the Bugatti Veyron 16/4 should also be on that list of supercars with AWD. I agree that the CORVETTE will eventually evolve into an AWD supercar. I am currently working on my own utilizing frt. drive system from said porsche, still working on it? I'll send pics when I'm done.:thumb

If it was that good Ferrari would offer it.:) However they are fast off the line; I drive a Subi STi and have embarassed many a Mustang, Firebird Camaro, and some Corvettes. It takes off like a jumping spider.:cool

Maybe those other cars yeah, but not the Corvette buddy? Maybe those guys don't know how to drive:boogie not cuttin' you down dude, but c'mon:cool

Wow - what a spirited debate. Get serious. Look under the hood of your vette. Where can they put all that hardware, and if you look at the posts in this forum you will see the overwhelming topics are based on durability and repair - mostly DIY. Try to repair that system as well as the systems that get restuffed. Also they would have to re design/eliminate the excellent center tube style which gives it rigidity. Also the engine is too big/heavy to coexist with a low short hood style. in other words it HAS to be a completely different car. It would cost Toyota/Honda/Fiat a fortune to redesign and the car would cost much Yen/Euros. Guess what All of us would be edged out of the market for what seems to be a tiny ?? maybe - improvement. AND it would look like a P/U truck.
What we have now is a super car with almost unlimited potential at a somewhat affordable albeit high price. Please enjoy. It already is a world class car.

This makes sense since the system is in a RWD mode most of the time. The ONLY time the front wheels will engage is if the rear wheels slip and how often will that be?

So, how often would the front wheels engage? The entire time that the gas pedal is to the floor? How long do you drive with the pedal to the floor? Yes, high speed cornering on a racetrack, but how many average consumers are out there burning up the track on a regular basis?

For the average Corvette driver I don't see the need. Yeah, they might floor it from 0 to ?? mph, but it is only the first few seconds / feet that the tires would break loose. The ZR1 might be a different story, but that is a completely different animal to begin with.

It takes more skill than the average drive has to deal with Z06 kind of power from a standstill at anything approaching full throttle. There are band-aids like automatic launch control, but AWD is the way to go. It can be designed to engage or disengage at a point that meets the sweet spot of a given engine, and split the power between the front and rear wheels appropriately. When I raced DSM cars, the ONLY thing good about them was the AWD. The base models may not REQUIRE AWD, but the Z06 and ZR1 would be perfect applications.

The 2007 Porsche 911 twin turbo all wheel drive is rated 18 city, 25 highway. I wouldn't classify that as terrible. That's only one mile per gallon less than the highway rating on the Z-06. I have a new Toyota RAV-4 all wheel drive V-6 (269 horsepower) that gets 24 in town and over 30 on the highway. It accelerates on a par with the FX-45 Infinity V-8 sport ute, and gets a lot better gas mileage (it's several hundred pounds lighter).

rated mpg and actual mpg are different. Maybe not huge difference but it it will drop a couple. a couple means a difference of hundreds of dollars in gas a year.
Besides, the ZR1 is here now, and it's rear-wheel drive. I doubt that we will ever see a Corvette with AWD.

I agree

all wheel drive option

With the engineering these days why cant they make a push button AWD and have it as an option to see how it sells? AWD would be awesome and to have the option to turn it on for some sweeeeeet driving or to turn it off so you can burn off the back tires, thats life in a perfect form. And for those who think AWD is not fuel economic........... well, neither is burning your tires plus tires are not cheap lol.......... Why shouldn't corvette have such an option, hell the price of a corvette is getting a little on the ridiculous side, so my opinion is, if your going to compete with the supercars then you better step up to the total package.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom