Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Almost blew up the 69

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I have a small oil leak of some kind on the 69, and can't locate it yet.

Well, we decided to take it north about 48 miles each way to a little car show event. Since I got the left cooling fan back on line, she is running at 180-185 degrees, and all is well.

So, on the way Nikki smells something. I look in the rearview and notice a plume of blue oil smoke trailing the passenger side. Oh, yes, and it was pouring down rain. Had the Vintage A/C pumping some cold defrost and breaking the fog on the glass.

Long story short, we were about 10 miles out, so I turned around and took surface streets home. I am thinking that I have eaten an oil ring on the passenger side, or valve stem failure, etc. Eased it home. It only really smoked at higher RPM.

Got home, had Nikki hop inside and hold the throttle. At around 3,500 oil came pouring out of the passenger side of the engine dumping on the right header making a hideous smell and smoke, not to mention an ugly little stain on the pipes. Note that I am still waiting on the Mildon dipstick to match the 7 qrt pan. It has been on back order now for four months. It should be shipped July 5 (but I have heard that story before)

So, it dumps a ton of oil right in my drive way! I just rolled it in the shop and shut it down. I am HOPING the oil came from my block off on the dipstick tube (it mounts in the oil pan). I had steady oil pressure, so I assume I did no damage to anything. I will know when I drop the oil and or get my dipstick how much I lost.

Oh, and my clutch is slipping like a muther luver when I hammer it.

Don't you just love working the bugs out of a compete frame off project!!!!

(look for a five or six speed trans on the horizon if I have to yank this Muncie out).

chris

well when your finished working out all your bugs and have nothing left to do, your welcome to come and help me with my bugs LOL

Chris, I'm truly sorry to hear about your problems. It takes alot of patiences with a built from the ground up project. hang in there :) we are all rooting for you.
Gary

Hope there's no serious problems. I'd like to know what you end up doing as far as the clutch goes. My clutch is slipping very badly, as well.

Stingray72 said:
Hope there's no serious problems. I'd like to know what you end up doing as far as the clutch goes. My clutch is slipping very badly, as well.

The car/cluth only has about 120 miles on it now, so I know it is not worn out. I am assuming when I set up the hydraulic release bearing, it may be too far out. That would mean pulling the trans to remove one of the alignment shims.

I will call Quartermaster on Monday and see if they have any other ideas.

Don't you just love working the bugs out of a compete frame off project!!!!

I know this is Florida, home of big bugs but hopefully things will ease up when you resolve the oil & clutch bugaboos.

Hopefully after some real pain you enjoy some real big gain!
Good Luck my posse brother

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom