Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ALMOST LOST MY ROOF TODAY!!

Well I did what I thought was the right thing and I'm totally not happy with the job my local dealer did. Got the roof back with the weather stripping on the drivers side glued under the panel. Looks like they didn't clamp anything while the glue dried so now I have this gap between the frame and the panel.
None of this surprises me from this dealer. So what's my recourse? Have them do it again? How in the world are they going to remove the glue from the shoddy job they did???
I'm SOOOOO ****ed

Greenie said:
Please dont go THERE! Its bad enough that the painted roofs are flying around but can you imagine if a clear top became "disengaged"????

Amen to that, fortunately, the transparent roofs are not involved.

B17Crew
:w

Had mine done last week. Dont have time to drive it enough to let it seperate. I was impressed on the work my dealer did. Luckly for me that had done several before mine so they knew how to do it right. Hope you get it fixed right

I suspect all C6s sold before the new sm material tops will be recalled before it's all over. In, or out of "affected VINs," take them in at the first sign of failure - usually creaking.

Huma Huma !!!!!!!!!!!!

I would wet my pants for sure! Could you imagine the law suits if the top came off and caused an accident!

Even though l have a C5 and have both tops l'm a little concerned about putting the solid roof on.

Alan

IMO the general should cover this.... Try the dealer again? Maybe call the factory rep?

Can you say......QUALITY CONTROL.???
GM seems to be doing such a fine job.....
What's next...? Are we going to have to worry about our wheels falling off? or
our tail light poping out? Come on GM get some decent people to do you checking or something?????
This roof thing is a very very serious and dangerous problem, people could get seriously hurt or
Killed.....I took mine in even though the VIN didn't fall within the range but I was told to take it in anyway they
supposedly fixed it but it still made all kinds of noises, creaking, and poping, so I took it back they said it was
a bad LATCH....Imagine that a bad latch....isn't that what holds the roof on ??????????
Here we go again....QUALITY CONTROL!!

I'm have a new C6 with 1900 miles on it. I keep it in a garage all the time, and last night I took it out for a drive. It was the first time I heard the popping, cracking noises. I've checked and my vin is not on the recall list, but I guess I should take it in and hav it checked. It is a solid black paint.

Is there anything I should tell the dealer or look for before I go in? The noises are definately new, and not just rattles. I believe the glue is letting go as described in this thread.

Thanks for the advice.

My roof showed no visible signs or noises for the 1st 9 months I owned the car. One morning started driving and there it was. Maybe due to the extreme heat we had in NY????
Anyway just returned from a business trip to Wash. DC. The "repair" that was performed has failed & the rain flowed into my car. My "05" coupe now has tape holding the roof on until I get to the dealer AGAIN tomorrow
morning.
I am NOT happy.

I did take mine to the dealer for ther eacall and they said they did the fix no problem. From what I was told the cars sitting out in the hot sun for long periods of tiime are the one losing the roof. While I had it in I complained of a squeek from the front end. They checked and ordered a new front leaf spring that they will be replace as soon as it comes in. I started hearing the squeek a couple of months ago and they tried to lube it but it continued, so I home the new leaf solves the problem. But the dealer here in Chantilly has been very good to me.

UPDATE:
The dealer ordered me a new roof today. Let's see how long this takes. It's real embarrassing driving around with tape holding my roof on!

I'm confused here. Your roof seperated? Why The @&#^ are you not demanding a new roof?

GM's "procedure" is to repair the roof first. The dealer did a %#!@ job. So now I'm getting a new roof.
Sorry but I didn't use duct tape, I used clear tape.....less noticible.

UPDATE:
It's real embarrassing driving around with tape holding my roof on!

Hey Joe I've always lived by this rule "what other people say (or think) about me is none of my business" ;LOL

I hope all works out for you soon Joe.
P.S. I would of used Duct Tape, conversation piece at the dinner table. :SLAP

My 2005 Coupe Roof, snorts and cracks and pops and makes noises that are enough to make you pull out your hair, I have taken it to the dealer 4 times the've looked and poked and proded, replaced the latches and whatever else they do, and still it is annoying as heck, so I've pretty much just given up and I am turning it in to the State of Texas attorney generals office under the Texas Lemon Law, maybe this will get them off thier As#$#&*# and get them to fix my roof....

lost my lexan roof for my C5 a month ago due to my negligence. I'm lucky that my mechanic had a spare roof to lend me in the meantime. He informed me that the mfg, that made them for GM had suspended production for some reason and now they are almost impossible to get. Unless you are lucky or find a reconditioned roof, the wait time is undeterminable. I don't know if it's the same mfg for the C6.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom