Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ALMOST LOST MY ROOF TODAY!!

Joe Vette

Corvette
2005 Lemans Blue Coupe
Even though I'm not in the Vin # range the roof separated from the frame this morning. Almost blew off on the Long Island Expway with traffic behind me but somehow I was able to grab onto it from the drivers window. Not a good feeling. No recall on my car from GM. All coupe roofs need to be recalled in my opinion. They just don't know which ones are bad.
Check yours now!!!!! :eek

Put some of this in the crack and ur good for go!

Gorilla%20Glue%20Logo.jpg

Did you notice any problems - noise, pops, wind, etc. - before this incident??

I.e.: did you have any previous warning??

Holy Toledo!!!!!!! :eek :eek

Transparent or solid roof?

B17Crew
:w

No previous warning at all. Sat. night drove around mostly with the roof off. Had it on for a quick run Sunday morning. Had the car outside instead of the garage Sunday night. Maybe the hot weather had something to do with it.
Once on the highway I saw the roof lift up at the front center that's when I grabbed it from the drivers side. Stopped to take the roof off and as I lifted it most all of it separated from the frame.
I love all of the Corvettes I've owned even with the other common problems but this is unacceptable.

OK y'all are starting to scare me now......although GM specifies a VIN range in their bulletin, everything I have read shows this is happening to just as many owners in the range as out of it.
I know the last thing GM needs is an expensive recall of all 2005/2006 roofs up to the point where they changed adhesive/etc. but I don't think this is going away soon.
I can tell you for sure if mine comes off (outside the VIN range) I'll be burning up the phone line from my house to the Generals!

How frightening!! It's lucky you saw what was happening and managed to grab it. I can only imagine the aftermath in the wake of a flying roof.

Barbie

Joe Vette said:
No previous warning at all. Sat. night drove around mostly with the roof off. Had it on for a quick run Sunday morning. Had the car outside instead of the garage Sunday night. Maybe the hot weather had something to do with it.
Once on the highway I saw the roof lift up at the front center that's when I grabbed it from the drivers side. Stopped to take the roof off and as I lifted it most all of it separated from the frame.
I love all of the Corvettes I've owned even with the other common problems but this is unacceptable.

If you were on the highway, how were you able to see the roof lift at the front center?

You can see it lift from the inside center front. It also makes quite a knocking noise when it starts flapping. Different design from your 99.

Good thing you caught it, sounds like a problem for GM or more likely one of thier suppliers. If you do use Gorrilla Glue be careful it expands while setting up, I would be more inclined to use an automotive bonding material. Try a local body shop supply store. The price for a tube of the good stuff will make you wince and then there is the "Gun" to apply it. Many stores will "rent" it to you with a $50 deposit (the price of the gun)

bring a $100 with you when you go ;LOL

Joe Vette said:
You can see it lift from the inside center front. It also makes quite a knocking noise when it starts flapping. Different design from your 99.

Thanks - it must have been quite a scare!

I have both tops for my 1999 (purchased new) and I have the body-color top on now due to the extreme heat and sun where I live. I have often wondered if it will separate like the new tops on the C6.

Good luck. It must be frustrating to deal with this major quality snafu.

B17Crew said:
Holy Toledo!!!!!!! :eek :eek

Transparent or solid roof?

B17Crew

Please dont go THERE! Its bad enough that the painted roofs are flying around but can you imagine if a clear top became "disengaged"????

Update:
Dropped the roof off at the dealer this morning. Decided against repairing it myself due to the implications if it happened again and someone or something got damaged. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't rain.

Joe, you made the right choice.
The weather will hold up until Wednesday, then thunder storms on Thursday.

Just got my October issue of Corvette Magazine. This was taken from page 10, second column:

Told You So
Washington DC—Shortly after our talk about roof-separation issues in current Corvette coupes (see CM27), NHTSA issued an official recall regarding the problem. According to the May 24 filing, some 30,793 C6s are affected. “On certain 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with painted roofs, the order observes, “the adhesive between the roof panel and frame may separate.... If there is a complete separation, the roof panel may detach from the vehicle and it could strike another vehicle and cause injury and property damage.” At the time of issuance, Chevrolet hadn’t yet released a schedule for owner notification. To see if your Corvette is on the list is on the list call Chevrolet at 800.630.2438, the NHTSA Safety Hoteline at 888.327.4236, or check on-line at www.safercar.gov.

Hope this is of some help!

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom