Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Almost Smoked by M3

• Thread starter Thread starter wwr
  • Start date Start date
W

wwr

I just yielded onto a 70mph 4 lane when I spotted a little black Bimmer coming fast at me. I had already decided what the hey here we go! Now get this, I was already flooring it when I saw him coming. Well I floored it and here he comes, about 120 he was beside me and I felt like I couldn't keep up with him I slowed down to take my next exit and something started to dangle above his license plate. I pulled over to tell him and we went our separate ways. There was an M3 badge on the car and it was a small car not new by any means. The car looked like it had been painted again this time all black so I guess he was an add on type. My car is just a standard Automatic '04 with the stock rear-end. So I don't know if he had me on weight or power. I do think he had no 350 hp in that thing and it wasn't that new. So did size, weight. and rear end slow me down? If top-end is 173-176 on an '04 like I've read numerous times I felt like it would take a long time to get there and keep this guy behind me. Any comments ?

wwr

M3's are fast cars. The E46 has 333h.p. They are only a tick slower in the magazine tests.

wwr said:
Any comments ?
wwr

The 2003 inline-6 M3 has Bhp of 360 and weight of 3,052lbs. That equals, quick as hell. I just went down to Austin in my buddy's M3, and I'm quite impressed. I always knew they were quick, but didn't realize how torque-y they are! Very nice car.

oooh, and that 360bhp is at 6,900 rpm. I think their redline is at 7.
Glen

My friend has a 2003 M3 and we where side by side untill I droped it into 4th gear then I started to pull away from him.. Low end they keep up but top end the vette keeps pulling. as soon as I hit 4th i was around 150mph.. on his car he has the paddle shift ...

If the M3 was not new and alot smaller, it sounds like one of the older body styles 240hp. It sounds like he was carrying some speed to start out with.

Tigershark_11 said:
My friend has a 2003 M3 and we where side by side untill I droped it into 4th gear then I started to pull away from him.. Low end they keep up but top end the vette keeps pulling. as soon as I hit 4th i was around 150mph.. on his car he has the paddle shift ...

Don't know about American models but all European BM's are limited to 155mph, probably why you left him at 150 ;)

JHL said:
Don't know about American models but all European BM's are limited to 155mph, probably why you left him at 150 ;)
Not true! M series BMW are not limited to 155 mph in Europe, only "regular" BMWs are ...

Those are popular cars for the tuner. The HP it started with may not be what it has now. ;)

360 HP is in the M3CSL

Bounty Hunter 6 said:
The 2003 inline-6 M3 has Bhp of 360 and weight of 3,052lbs. That equals, quick as hell. I just went down to Austin in my buddy's M3, and I'm quite impressed. I always knew they were quick, but didn't realize how torque-y they are! Very nice car.

Glen

M3 Specs:
S54 engine: 3,246 cc 3.2 liters in-line 6 front engine with 87 mm bore, 91 mm stroke, 11.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder-Premium unleaded fuel 91-Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 23 and EPA city (mpg): 16-Multi-point injection fuel system-16.6 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank-Power: 248 kW , 333 HP SAE @ 7,900 rpm; 262 ft lb , 355 Nm @ 4,900 rpm

street legal RACE car.

Bounty Hunter 6 said:

Glen

ditto,

my friend had one a few years back. these cars the the closest thing to a street legal race car.....engine, brakes, transmission, etc.. alot of guys race them right out of the box with only wheel/tire changes!!!! a "tuned" M car will smoke any stock c5. oh yea.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom