Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator upgrade

K

KenSny

I'm getting ready to upgrade my SI-10 61amp alternator with the Quick-Start upgrade kit that will take it to 105amp.

Has anyone done this - and - did the stock AMP (BATTERY) gauge work ok? I have seen a post or two about "frying the gauge".

85amp

Ken,

I just replaced the 63amp unit with (what is suppose to be the correct) 85 amp unit in my '81. Everything works perfectly, the gauge reads correctly and I can run virtually every option in the car and the needle never shows any drain at all. 105 seems like a huge jump from 61. Why the big increase? Oh yeah, I also found the new alternator used a larger bolt set than the 63 did and I had to make a couple mods at the pivot bracket and the tensioning bracket.

.......... Nut

Actually I'd like to only go up to 80a, but they don't have an upgrade kit for that. Basically planning ahead as I might be adding a dual electric fan setup (25a max draw) and I think with my A/C on, and all, I will be mighty close to the limit of the 61a alt. I need to get out there and put a meter on it, but I can't believe that GM put a 25a reserve in that alts load capacity.

Interesting

You'd definitely be taxing a 61amp with those add-ons, but I'm surprised you can't find an 80-85amp around. I got mine from AutoZone of all places. Let me ask a couple folks at work with C3's and see if they've done the same thing.

.......... Nut

Hey Nut - What's an almost AARP member? Ever since I retired they been sending me stuff on a regular basis. Can't figure out how they know that unless they got some stuff with age records on it. I took an early retirement at 55 instead of getting terminated in a downsizing.

Ken,

"Almost" means I'm almost there (i.e. the big 50). With the gray beard and the gray in (what's left of my hair), I get the "senior" deals all the time. It's great. I'm jealous of your early-out. I'll likely still be laboring away for an ungrateful master for a while yet. Fortunately for now I love my job. I'm glad you got out before they beat you like a junkyard dog. Enjoy.

........... Nut

Why not go with some more modern technology?

The current ACDelco CS130 usually will bolt right into where a 10-SI currently resides.

I did that with my 71 BB.

Take a look at:
http://www.idavette.net/hib/reman.html
for more info on the SI-ti-CS conversion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom