Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator wiring without a fuse box

craig32

Corvette
1981 repainted black coupe
Hi all, looking for some wiring help. I'm working on a vehicle with no fuse box, I need to know how to wire the alternator. I just got a 'newer' model with the internal regulator (so I don't have to mount one somewhere) I just need basic wiring to include switch, starter, coil, alternator, probably gague, and battery. All the diagrams I've found show the wires from the alternator going to the fuse panel. Not sure if what I have so far is quite right, as the battery cables get awfully hot. I didn't have a problem starting it before, but now it's a problem. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Craig

just run a #6 wire from the single hot post on the alt to the battery. it would be advisable to put a fuse at both ends. one near the alt and one near the battery incase it shorts, keeps you from starting and electrical fire. if your cables to the starter are getting hot during cranking, they are way to small or you have something wired way wrong. since it sounds like its still cranking, i'd say your wiring is under gauged. also hot wires do not send the necessary amps to the starter, this can burn the crap out or brushes and / or burn out the motor windings.

you might want to check to see if the system requires some type of resistance into the line to get the alternator to charge. seems to me i remember that being necessary (hence the use of a light or gauge in the system which actually serves two purposes. one to be an indicator the other to provide resistance to the system). a friend who is building a 64 grand sport mentioned something to me about that when he was just rigging up his new engine to get it started. he also was working without a fusebox and was just "hot" wiring the engine to get it going. i would guess a read through the tech questions or a search on replacing alternators would provide some additional information.

depending on how "new" the alternator is will determine what voltage is needed to trigger it; the newer ones (90's-2000+) need a resistor in the trigger line while the older (70's-80's) use a wire from the Accessory side of the Ign swithch circut to activate them.
Running any vehicle without any fuse box is not a good idea you can buy fuse boxes from most of the speed equipment supply houses or any electrical supply company.

It is a tractor - no windshield = no wipers or defroster, no body = no heater or lights, no horn, no lighter, - no need. Engine is from a '67 El Camino, alternator is of the 80's variety like my Vette and Monte SS has. It will be the same wiring configuration as an engine on a stand in a shop or like during break-in, as srs244 said.

run a heavy gage wire from the post on the alternator to the battery use a fusable link for safety then run small gage wire from the ACC side of the ignition switch to the small brown wire on the plug of the alternator to "trigger" it on.

Goin pullin?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom