Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator ??

B

bdisanto

My 87, (43,000 miles) will not stay running, I drive it up the street and it dies, takes forever to get it started, once I do have to get it home quick or a tow is in my future. I replaced the Fuel Filter, when I take a fully charged battery and install it it will run fine until the volts drop tp around 12-13. I took the alternator to the local autozone, they say its bad, can the alternator be the problem?
I do pull a 34 code,. MAP sensor??

Please help, the good weather is passing me by,

If the alternator tests bad repalce and see if your code problem doesn't take care of itself.
If nothing else you have to get a good alternator before worring about anything else.
Don't get any alternator without a lifetime warranty. My 200K 87 has had at least 4 alternators on it that I know of.
A 200 degree fan switch for the boost fan out front will help. A auto electric guy told me the cars, vetts, firebirds, ect without engine fans get very hot under the hood and cause a lot of the problems.

JS

Hi, Mine didn't get too far when the alternator died maybe 15 miles! but the car did run till it dropped to about 9 volts! It take a lot of Current to keep one of these cars running. So my take is definatly you need a good alternator. However you may have some more problems if it won't runn at 12 volts. Possibly a good tune up is in order Plugs, wires cap & rotor. along with cleaning the throttle body and IAC passages. then re set minimum idle air & TPS ! there is a good fact sheet right here on the action center on just this!

hehe,, this is just now happending to me

my alt went out and i guess its been out for a while
so i go buy one
i put it on and that one is bad
so now im taking it back and getting another one, jeeze

but yeah mine did the same as yours i think
but mine was reading 10.5 volts before my car was starting to die

and my car has been doing this for a while now it being around 11.5 volts and now i learn that my car needs at least 12.5 or so just to run 100 percent
so thats where my performace has been going

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I have purchased the alternator and will get back to you to let you know if it works. I did have new splitfire plugs and wires, K&N Air & oil filter gas filter, etc installed prior to this problem. Thanks for your help

i have a huge problem

i the alt wasn't bad the one i bought

i took it back and tested it and it showed 14 volts or more

so somethin is wrong,, and im not sure what so far

Re: Thanks

bdisanto said:
Thanks for the replies, I have purchased the alternator and will get back to you to let you know if it works. I did have new splitfire plugs and wires, K&N Air & oil filter gas filter, etc installed prior to this problem. Thanks for your help

Looks like you're in for a much smoother ride. I just did some of those over the winter and you can really feel the difference.

I also changed out my alternator; I just got a used one for about $60 from this place called Vette2Vette. The guy there just does C4 parts and I've had nothing but good transactions with him.

LOL I have to run my 1 farad Cap because on my brand new Alt Im running 11-12 Volts because of my stereo. I have a Prolink one Im going to use but the problem is mounting the grenade somewhere Lol

see thats wierd big red

your sterios is hooked up to your battery

so really that shouldn't affect what your running at
or am I wrong

i used to think i was running 11 to 12 cause i had boht fans running on my car all the time

but my dad told me its hooked to my battery so it wouldn't make it read like that

anyone know??

Well........... let's see now Vette alternators don't put out much unless your running the engine over 2000 rpm's fans and stereo, ac clutches and blower motors take a lot of power. looks to me like you maybe just don't have enough charging capicity! you can't takr out more than you put in!

Not the alternator

I installed the new alternator, was not the problem, car still runs for a few minutes, rev it up and it dies, looking towards the MAF sensor and relays now

my alt runs at 11.5 volts

i think its cause my idle pulley is moving up and down

it needs to be tighten,,, i couldn't get a wrench on it i'll let my dad do it, hehe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom