Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator

Garagetoyz

Corvette
78 Silver Anniversary 4 spd Crate engine
I want to buy a new alt for my vette..Does anyone know what amperage is the best to use? Its a 78 and there are many choices..Thanks

it depends what you are running off it if you have electric fans big sound system and a/c then you might with something over 100 amps if not stay with the stock 60 amp

Its a low option car but it does have A/C. Also just a cd player but nothing fancy, as for the rest its pretty much stock.

Garagetoyz said:
I want to buy a new alt for my vette..Does anyone know what amperage is the best to use? Its a 78 and there are many choices..Thanks

The original was 63 amps.
:beer

I bought the stock chrome alt. today. A reasonably priced item to dress up the car. I told the salesman it was a 1978 but I noticed in the last moments of install the plug in for the alt. is on the motor side instead of closer to the firewall, and regretfully the wires barely reach. Does anyone here know what is the norm for this year vette or is the auto parts guy just sleepy today?

Just take the four bolts out and turn the case to put the wires closer to the drivers fender and put the bolts back in. Nothing to it....good luck.

One more question..has anyone here ever bought a chrome alternator from mid america? They advertise it as being A/C Delco but dont know about the chrome quality..Thx!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom