Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

aluminum polish/care

jbonifas

Corvette
1981 silver/blue: two tone
What is the best to clean aluminum wheels. I have used Mothers polish and it works good, but it is much more work than I like. If I polish them up, can I coat them with something that will keep them from oxidizing? I am looking for a little less maint.
JCB

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
There's several different aluminum polishes out there and they all pretty much do the same. The one polish I have found that I like the best is Blue Magic. You can get it in either liquid or paste.

Once you polish the wheels, you have a choice. You can either clear coat them or actually apply a coat of wax which will help keep the wheels somewhat slippery, slow down the re-oxidation and help remove brake dust when it comes to clean them.

Yoda

Administrator
Corvette
1981 UL5
Polish them ...

jbonifas,

Are you talking about your L81? Have you stripped off the Clear Coating?

I stripped the coating off mine then use "Mothers" on them I only need to touch them up about twice a year AT THE MOST. I keep the Rare81 parked inside and try to keep the wheels covered. Believe it or not... the motor in the furnace/airconditioner cause some ionization that does affect the wheels... over a period of time. Probably not in my lifetime,, but one can never be to carefull.

Seriously, Mothers does all the work. If you have the coating off and put a couple coats of Mothers on them ... Those Mothers should shine like a wet babies bottom :D..

But as Rob said you can get a clear coat spray, or talk to someone that you trust from a local body shop. They may have some good suggestions too.
BudD

jbonifas

Corvette
1981 silver/blue: two tone
Bud & Rob,
Thanks! The general consenses is that a little wax will help. I'll try that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom