Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Amp meter not working

sincro

Corvette
1965 coupe, and a 2001 coupe
I have a problem. My Amp meter is not working. When I first bought the car I noted that it was not working. During my referb, I installed a new amp meter, thinking the old one was bad. Now that I have the dash back in, the new amp meter is not working either. I traced the wires on the wiring diagram and note that one goes to the main power terminal on the starter and the other one goes to the horn relay terminal. Does the 1965 Corvette have a fuse link in these wires and if so, where is it located.:confused

I have a problem. My Amp meter is not working. When I first bought the car I noted that it was not working. During my referb, I installed a new amp meter, thinking the old one was bad. Now that I have the dash back in, the new amp meter is not working either. I traced the wires on the wiring diagram and note that one goes to the main power terminal on the starter and the other one goes to the horn relay terminal. Does the 1965 Corvette have a fuse link in these wires and if so, where is it located.:confused

Here's a link to Barry K's web page who has stored much helful info for the Corvette Hobbist. Here's a link to gauge's.. This should help..
http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/gauges & instruments/Troubleshooting gauges.pdf

Good Luck:beer Thanks Barry.. You Da Man:thumb

amp meter problem

Wow! That is the information I have been looking for. I knew there had to be a shunt in the circuit somewhere but I couldn't find it to save my life. A voltage compairitor has to have one. That is an excellent explanation of the circuit. Simple and to the point.

THANK YOU for the link. Tomorrow, I will test it their way to see what that tells me.:beer

Wow! That is the information I have been looking for. I knew there had to be a shunt in the circuit somewhere but I couldn't find it to save my life. A voltage compairitor has to have one. That is an excellent explanation of the circuit. Simple and to the point.

THANK YOU for the link. Tomorrow, I will test it their way to see what that tells me.:beer

Good Luck on your hunt. Also Vist Barryk's web page as there is info of most of the systems on the Midyear.

Mark, sure, just give out my tech article links to just anyone why don't you? trying to increase my bandwidth usage and cost me money?? ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Sincro
here is a link to my Tech Articles page if you require other info as you work on your car.
http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html
utilize whatever you may need, that's what the page is there for.
Oh, and welcome to CAC

amp meter problem

BarryK, I would like to thank you for putting together such a great site and sharing it with us less knowledgeable Corvette lovers. You have a great site.:thumb

sincro, I'm also one of the "less knowledgeable" Corvette lovers here! Why do you think I collected so many tech articles? I needed something to learn from as I attempt to work on my own cars. I than realized that if the articles were useful for me than they would be useful to others in the same situation so that's when I started collecting more and posting them up. :thumb

99% of the time, a non-working battery gauge is due to corrosion of the terminals in the multiple connectors on the engine side of the fuse block; the sense wire from the gauge to the horn relay (18-ga. black/white) and the one to the battery cable stud on the starter solenoid (18-ga. black) are both in the inboard of the two multiple connectors. Carefully disconnect the plug (don't break the locking tangs), inspect and clean the male and female terminals, apply a light film of dielectric grease, and re-connect.

:beer

99% of the time, a non-working battery gauge is due to corrosion of the terminals in the multiple connectors on the engine side of the fuse block; the sense wire from the gauge to the horn relay (18-ga. black/white) and the one to the battery cable stud on the starter solenoid (18-ga. black) are both in the inboard of the two multiple connectors. Carefully disconnect the plug (don't break the locking tangs), inspect and clean the male and female terminals, apply a light film of dielectric grease, and re-connect.

:beer

Sincro

The above info From John Z is the Gosppel. John was around and worked as an Engineer for GM atthe time of the Midyear Corvette. He's advice is allways Right on.

Now..I hope his head can still fit thru the door..;LOL

Mark, sure, just give out my tech article links to just anyone why don't you? trying to increase my bandwidth usage and cost me money?? ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Sincro
here is a link to my Tech Articles page if you require other info as you work on your car.
http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html
utilize whatever you may need, that's what the page is there for.
Oh, and welcome to CAC

I plan on posting you tech link site on the Japan Internet...:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom