Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

an interesting power antenna issue...

jdeatsch

Corvette
01 Quicksilver vert, 6 speed. 02 Lt Pewter vert.
you're going to love this one.

2001 Vert is what it is.

The antenna was acting up so I thought I'd pull the mast (yep, the drive cable too) and look it over.

I got a new antenna cause the old drive ribbon/cable was getting chewed a bit.

I put the new antenna in. It extends perfectly but won't retract. That is, when turning on the power it extends. If I unhook the connection to the antenna housing then I can push it back down into the 'down' position.

HOWEVER, if the power is hooked up, that is, with the radio OFF, and I try to push the antenna down it goes down 4 inches and drives right back up.

Needless to say, when I turn off the radio, the antenna won't retract. If I unhook the 3 wire connector in the trunk then I can push the antenna back down to the 'down' position.

As soon as I hook that 3 wire connector back up, regardless of whether the radio is off or on, the antenna goes up.

I don't get it. No, really, I don't.

Anyone?

TIA,

Jim (of the erect antenna) :boogie

Here's another interesting fact. I also replaced the mast and it went up fine, down the first time or two then stopped retracting altogether. With the power off, I (gently) pushed down and after 6 - 8", the antennae powered itself down. Does the antenna ghost really live in there?
Now, the mast extends fully but leaves about 5" out after retracting.
Don't want to cut a hole in my cover, so serioulsy considering the hidden antenna from ebay.

Might have several inches of broken plastic inside motor

When I replaced my broken mast I had to remove the motor, drill out the 3 plastic studs holding the motor cover together, remove the broken plastic cable still inside the motor housing, lubricate and replace all internal parts, reattach the cover with 3 self tapping screws after drilling out the remaining parts of the plastic studs. Most of the time was spent removing and replacing the motor. You remove both right taillight lenses to get to the motor. There are a few studs and must remove the nuts to remove the motor.
Antennamastsrus.com has some instructions online and they are helpful on the phone as well. Where I purchased the new antenna for less than $20.
I bet you have a short stub of broken mast cable inside the motor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom