Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

And the stalling continues

yitbos

Corvette
84 Coupe
Well, I'm at a loss now regarding the stalling on my 84. The dealership hooked the computer up and did not find any codes had been thrown. So they let it run for a few hours, couldn't get the stalling to duplicate itself.

Today I'm driving home, about 75 degrees outside and I come to a stop light. I put it in neutral and give one quick hit to the accelerator and the RPMs go up and then drop to 500. I do it again, they drop to 300 and recover. I do it again and it stalls. I restart the engine and try again. It stalls again.

I drive the rest of the way home without any problems. Once in the driveway, I try over and over to get it to stall. Trying in neutral and in park. Nothing happens. No stalling, no matter how much I hit the accelerator and then let off.

The coolent temp was about 198 when all this happend. Not sure that has anything to do with it. I had the fuel pump and filter replaced within the last 4 years. When I took it to the dealer, it was running very rich. You could smell the gas. This time, no smell at all. However, the check engine light did come on so I'm hoping that threw a code and I can jump the two pins and get a code number from the computer.

Any suggestions on what else could be the problem or what I can look for?
Thanks,
John

Well you are on the right track by first retrieving the code. However the code might be meaningless concerning your situation. ONce you find the code, post it here, and hopefully someone with a similiar instance may help.

Good Luck

John,

Have you had any luck with your problem yet??

It has been a number of days since the vehicle stalled. But I've still not figured out the problem. The vehicle is for sale in the local trader magazine. I'll be honest with anyone who comes to look at it that it has stalled a few times over the past month for no aparent reason.

The ad is a three week ad and the second week just started. If no one makes an offer on it by the end of the third week, then we are trading it in along with my other vehicle for a new equinox. We will then begin saving for another corvette over the next year to two. We wanted to move to a C5 version, but we might save a little harder to get into a c6.

Thanks for checking on the problem.
John

You might recommend replacing the fuel filter also.

Good Luck with your plans, and keep in touch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom