Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

And....What Would Be Your Ideas For this Problem...???

Viet Nam Vett said:
OK..This must be one of those invisable ink reply posts....:L You know just a picture...sorta like an international road sign.. No text...:L

Ok so lets see if we can figure out what this means...

(1)... Ok..You cheap Bast_ _rd.. Get your money out and put on a 67 L-88 Style Hood. and be done with it....

(2)...Heh.. Look at my set up...naah...naah ....naah.....:cool

(3)... Didn't we go threw this before.....:ugh

(4)... Who Gives a S_ _ T...:eyerole

(5)...My Hood is stuck up like me and I can't put it down....:cry

(6)...Red Is my favirote color....:rotfl

Waiter, I'll take one #1, three #2s, and a #6
;)

Mark:
I am using a filter top on the 850CFM Demon carb on my project. When I was designing the hood scoop I asked K&N technical what clearance I should have over the top and I was told that 1" was recommended and that if you went less than 0.5" you may as well not use the filter top. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but thought I would pass it along anyway.
Charles

JohnZ said:
I don't think there's much hope for using the side vents in the '65-'66 BB hood as an air intake source; air passing by them is in the boundary layer and isn't going to divert without external deflectors. The same is true of opening the front of a '67 BB stinger hood - there's no laminar flow there either (that's why the air intake on a Pro Stocker is two feet above the surface of the hood, to get it out of the boundary layer).
:beer

Ok John.... What about external deflectors sticken out on the side grills.. how long should they be to at least devert the air into the engine compartment..

Or am I just sucken wind here..:L

cbernhardt said:
Mark:
I am using a filter top on the 850CFM Demon carb on my project. When I was designing the hood scoop I asked K&N technical what clearance I should have over the top and I was told that 1" was recommended and that if you went less than 0.5" you may as well not use the filter top. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but thought I would pass it along anyway.
Charles

Heh Charles,
I do have the 1'' clearence needed but it's at the tapper down point at the outer edge of the top.. So it is sucken some air there but... I think I'm going to trash the K&N top..
:beer

67HEAVEN said:
I just suck harder, John. Besides, it looks so cool. I bet I can take your 300. ;)

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhzzz.. Who TF wound you up today...:L ..Dammm..

Picken on the man..!!!:r

67HEAVEN said:
Sort of like massive curb feelers. :rotfl

Yeah like then there Fat boy Fat Butt Rear Fendors of yours,....:rotfl

67HEAVEN said:
I just suck harder, John. Besides, it looks so cool. I bet I can take your 300. ;)

Yup, no doubt about it! :) . Ram-air doesn't begin to take effect until about 150mph, so you have no problem! :D
:lou

Viet Nam Vett said:
Your idea of a hood mod is sound but requires Lotsa $$$$$$$ and the paint on the car is Laqure..Agin this seems to be the right way to go though.

come on your cheap b*%tard, let go of some of that huge pile of money you got stashed in the mattress and just go for it. ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL
as for the lacquer paint, that's no big deal, you can still get lacquer and i'm sure Rob would be happy modify and spray your hood. :D

Hey, I just thought of another idea for you to consider....... This one just might be the winner.

get a set of verticle exhaust stacks like some of the rednecks down in the south put on their 4x4 pick-ups that mimic the exhaust stacks of a 18-wheeler tractor. Drop them down thru the wiper vents - h*ll, you ain't using the wipers anyway - than feed some fexible hose from the bottom of the stacks to the air cleaner assembly.
the stacks will be plenty tall enough to be above the boundry layer so you will suck up lots and lots of air.

added bonus is on holidays and parades you can even string up some flags between the stacks and be super patriotic.

just don't forget to get your buddy to make you another set of those "502" crossed flag emblems like he made for your fenders so you can put them on the stacks so they look stock.

:D

midyear said:
And heres how it could look installed on your car!!! hey, I'll even paint it for you:beer
dcmyuk.JPG

Is that the stock height....?? Or The Dennis..Jam the Ramjet 502 Intake in their hood.??

Let's see..That's gotta be $1200.00 hood by the time your done..Right??

I dunno. I'm not convinced that you don't enjoy better breathing already with the setup you have. I take John's point about pulling in hot air at the top but a drop base air cleaner should take air even closer to the engine, the air has to go up the sides of the base, over the choke tower and then finally down into the primaries. Seems VERY inefficient to me.

First, I know you just LOVE that choke but I milled the tower on both cars. Don't regret it a bit.

You MAY want to take some measurements and do what I did with the small block. First, measure the distance you have from the top of the float bowl screws to the underside of the hood. You can fab a round, flat air cleaner base for the bottom ( I made a thin spacer to make the base JUST clear the top of the float bowl screws), use the K&N top and then split the difference with the widest air cleaner element that will fit. Daz 'zactly what I did with the small block. With the '67 bb hood and the stinger ported for fresh air, the top of the air cleaner stays cool even during the summer. Must be the venturi effect.

If you want to go with a lower rise manifold, I have a NIB manifold in the garage..it's yours.

I'll take some pictures of the sb setup and post them when I sober up :m

I'm telling 'ya, if the mood strikes me, I'm going back to the tripower setup for the big block. A new 500cfm center carb and new 350cfm secondaries. I'll use progressive mechanical linkage and I'll port match the manifold for the center carb. Remember that powder coated tripower air cleaner top that I made with the 9" round K&N sitting right over the top of the center carb? Very cool. I have one more blank left for a second top and it has your name on it you go that route.

I have visions of JohnZ chiming in and shattering my tripower dreams, though.

..nah, kinda married to the stock low rise manifold and the iconic air cleaner setup and i don't have a problem with Holley's...got everything i need in da basement except for the new carbs......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom