Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anew leak...

Jerrylee

I have a leak on what I believe to be the transmission line....the small line that ties into the bottom of the radiator on the pass. side.....My mechanic won't be available till sat n I want to know if it's ok to drive like that till then.....Thanx.......................Jerrylee///

I want to know if it's ok to drive like that till then.....Thanx.......................Jerrylee///

How bad is it leaking???...I don't think it would be a good idea to drive it,until it has been repaired.If it is any kind of leak you will only end up burning up the transmission.

Is it the actual steel line that is leaking or is it the hose that goes from the line to the radiator? Either way I wouldn't drive it until is was fixed.

My steel line popped a pin hole in it so I got some rubber transmission line and slipped it over the steel line and hose clamped it at both ends. That repair my have been Bubba, but it never failed.

Transmission fluid is flammable! Someday I may post the pictures of what a leaking modulator did to my Vette, it's not pretty.

I have 2 clamps on each end of both lines,b/c with just one it manages to seep out....
just cheap insurance!!!

My steel line popped a pin hole in it so I got some rubber transmission line and slipped it over the steel line and hose clamped it at both ends. That repair my have been Bubba, but it never failed.

Transmission fluid is flammable! Someday I may post the pictures of what a leaking modulator did to my Vette, it's not pretty.

Honestly, I was stunned by your response. On the one hand, you tell us you had a transmission line develop a leak and on the other hand you tell us how flammable transmission fluid is, and then you tell us you have already experienced a fire! :crazy I can understand it if you did this repair to allow you to get home and then permanently fix the line, but that does not seem to be the case here. This is similar to those folks that jerry rig rubber fuel lines instead of steel.

Sorry, I think think that this is a fire looking for a time and a place to happen.

As to the original post, if you can find or see leaking fluid, I wouldn't drive the car except to some facility where it can be repaired.

Yeah, I agree but putting the rubber hose over a metal line with a pin hole in it and clamping at both ends is a solid repair that worked on my car from about '84 until the great fire of '97. I haven't looked at the trans cooling lines, it could still be there but I doubt it. I was told by a Transmission tech to use the hose trick, it wasn't my idea. That little leak was a far cry from the leaking modulator that sprayed trans fluid all over and somehow ignited in heavy rain no less.

The point I was trying to make is if you have an active trans leak use some common sense, there are people out there that don't realize transmission fluid is flammable. Some of those leaks are an easy cheap DIY fix. (Like my modulator would have been)

The older fluid with water contamination has a much (more than 100 degrees lower) lower boil point than fresh fluid, so maybe the rain contributed to my fire, I have no idea.

Fire and Fiberglass don't mix well :cry.

Easy and Cheap.Those two words just don't belong together in the same sentence. Not when your talking about a CORVETTE.

CHECK EBAY AND LOOK AT THE CAR THAT BURNT UP BEFORE MAKING TO THE AUCTION. A fuel line leak caused this 68, 427 to burn up. Its now up as a project car or parts car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom