Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

another 81

Hey guys!
just wanted to jump in. I have the same paint scheme you are talking about. At first the color was odd but as you guys said, you dont see many of them and that is why I have grown to like the paint scheme. If you could I would love an email with the article. My email is prokops2001@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance!

TOM

D84 Vette Beige/Bronze with 4 spd.

Assuming the the number of 4 spd, D84 Vette Beige/Bronze Corvettes is ruffly proportional to the number of 4 spd cars (5757) out of overall production of all 81 corvettes (40606); we are looking at probably 71 or 72 cars (give or take). Now this is only the most basic of estimations, but does indicate the number is small. I happen to have just this car and have often wondered how many twins are around. Mine has cloth seats and only 25K original miles. She is all stock and I've even got her first set of tires in storage. Guess she is kinda rare indeed!

Ari

Ari - Welcome to CAC! It's always nice to have another 81 owner around. Do you have any pictures of your Corvette?

Happy Motoring!!...........Dave

1fine81

hi ,tell about your car on the post that says how many 2tone , i was trying to see how many tan and bronze two tone are around and if its a 4speed or not. thanks george

Thanks for the welcome

Dave,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, you do have a picture of the car (and me). It can be seen on the 3rd member page of the l-81 registry. It's overlooking a beautiful California vista and has a real dorky looking guy in shorts leaning against it........I get a goofy grin every time I'm around her........must be love!

Ari

Congrats on the New Vette.........Can't never have to many....:D

Congrats on the new L81 and welcome to the new members. My wife once said the she wished she would have ordered her '81 later so she could get the 2 tone but she loves her solid beige. She took delivery in Oct of '80 and only drove it a couple weeks before putting it up for winter. I guess she could have waited and got a spring BG car with good paint instead of a fall St Louis car with thin and dull paint. It has character though. :L

Tom

Serial Nr's and colors options.

I was just reading 1FINE81,12 Mar '03 which he had some real good totals, so I research thru what I had here. Total units for 1981 were 40606, @ 31,611=St. Louis and 8,995=Bowling Green. There were 5,757 4-spd produce both locations. Serial Nr's break down to 1G1AY8764BS400001 - 1G1AY8764BS431611 St.Louis.
Then 1G1AY8764B5100001 - 1G1AY8764B5108995 at Bowling Gr.
The ninth digit is a check code and varies from the manuf. Here are four different codes with no Number for correspondence:
ZDA=4-spd ZDC=4-spd/Calif
ZDD= Auto ZDB= Auto/Calif.
My ninth digit on the V.I.N. is a "9" my vette was sold originally Phoenix,Az. which is ZDA 4-spd on purchase invoice.
Last subject is the color solid choices: red-yellow-black-white beige-silver metallic-Dark blue met.-mahogany met.-claret met.-maroon met.-charcoal met.-dark bronze met.-dark claret met.
Two-Tones: Claret Metallic/Dark Claret Met. Silver Metallic/Dark Blue Met. Silver Metallic/Charcoal Met. Beige/Dark Bronze Met.
I found no information about how many 4-spd produced with what color, anybody hearing that I would like a msg back.
Everybody have a great Vette Day....LOBO out.

81 MAKO,

Click HERE. This will take you to the L81 VetteRegistry ;) Once you get there open the SPECS page. You'll find quite-a-bit of information ;)

The 1981's built at Bowling Green probably have the build sheets on file. The St. Louis records were either destroyed or lost :( I do have a contact that has access to about 1,000 St. Louis built 1981's. The only problem I have is that he is trying to make $$$$ off them, when the FACT is they were GIVEN to him from a St. Louis retired plant worker :mad

I have refered several St. Louis built 1981 owners to him, so far the ones that have inquired, he has not had their perticular build sheet.

Look forward to hooking up May 10th... Have you received your 140 mph speedo yet??

Bud

Bud: I would be interested in contacting this person....I am trying to buildi some documentation, have not yet had time to pull the tank to see what is there, but I suspect the Cdn winters have probably taken care of whatever was put there in the factory.....if he has mine, I would be interested in it......you can send it to my email address, or, I can give you the info......whatever works....

BTW, we thought spring was here, but wouldn't you know it, we had a good dump of snow on Tuesday/Wednesday of this week....all gone though.....geez, I hate winter!!.....regards.....dbj:eek

I have to do a little braggin' too. I also have a beige/dark bronze 81, 4speed, all original, 54,400 miles, camel leather interior, with California emissions, in great shape, that I just picked up about 3 hours ago. Boy, am I stoked!:Twist I agree that the color really grows on you. At first, I didn't really even look at this car & now I think it's awesome. I can't wait to hit the road.

I would also like a copy of that article that's been quoted emailed to me. justaudra@sbcglobal.net Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom