Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

another 81

ggaagg57

Corvette
68,502 convt. ,- &81,4speed ,80 4 speed, 70 454
bought another 81 this weekend, two tone 50/74 car is in great shape .71k on it. bought from 2nd owner 4 speed not near as fast as 81 with 383 in it . but still fun to drive.

:confused What does50/74 mean? Sorry to be dumb but never heard that.:beer

phxraptor-
He's referring to the two-tone body color codes. 50/74 is Biege/Dark Bronze.
Hey, remember, there's no dumb questions, just dumb answers ;)
Dick

is there anyway to tell how many biege and bronze two tones with 4 speeds were made in 81. george

Congrats on your new ride, I see that those who have replied so far are from a warmer climate. My vette is packed away til April so enjoy a ride and think of us northern boys.

Chuck :w :w

ggaagg57

Congrats and the new addition to your stable. When you have a few minutes I would appreciate you registrering your new L81 on the Registry ;)

I don't know that the L81VetteRegistry will give you the answer to how many with options and color were made, but it can narrow it down a bit.

Maybe in few years the Registry will be able to list the members cars with options and compare it to the documented factory build numbers and come up with a close guesstimate.

George - In the 2000 Cars & Parts (volume 3,number 3),there is a nice 5 page article of your car and exact color! I tried scanning to post here but it comes out to large. That 2 tone option was 'D84'.
It was used only on Bowling Green cars. The option was priced at $399 and was used on 5,352 Corvettes in 1981 out of a total 8,955 produced at the BG plant. They don't break down the production totals by color though. I think you would find this article very interesting. I could scan all 5 pages and email to you if you want.

Dave

p.s. I just noticed that your car is a four speed also,I would say the total cars with that paint scheme and a 4 speed would be indeed very rare!

George - Here is the best I can do with my digital camera.

Dave

According to 'Corvette Black Book 1953-2003' 1981 D84-cars had no known records kept, but were included in colors #33 (Silver Metallic), #50 (Beige), or #80 (Autumn Red), which were the 'upper colors' of the D84's.

thanks dave

got email thanks, have not read all of it but will . would like to get a copy of that mag, thanks again . george

qqaaqq , Congats on your new 81, Hope you have great luck with it. I have it from a pretty reliable source that Bowling Green made on ly 500 of the Beige over Bronze Vettes. I do know for a fact that it was the very first car color off the assembly line in 1981,and you will see VERY few on the street. We bought ours in 1994 and have had a BLAST with it ever since.

P.S It's the same car thats in Corvette and Parts Magazine June 2000

Mike K

Mike K - I have that article. Are you the owner of the car in the magazine,or have one just like it? It is a very sharp car !!
Welcome to CAC !

Dave

mike you said, that there were only about 500 two tone in my color, any idea about how many of them were 4 speeds? george

D84 Vette Beige/Bronze

Burgler, Thanks for the Compliment! Yeah, I own the car that was in the article,In 1999 we were at Mid Americas Fun- Fest with several friends,When Mike Mueller picked our car for a celebrity choice award. I thouht that was about as good as it could get as there were 5,300 Vettes there on Sat. and only 25 awards. BUT it got better. It seems Mike is a pretty well known Automobile author and photografer, Asked to do a photo shoot for his up coming book "Corvettes 1968-1982" Needless to say Sharon and I were thrilled. Since the first book was published in 2000 Mike has done another called "Corvette the first thirty years" published last year.Again he chose our car to represent the 1981 model year. We can't believe how luckey wev'e been with the car and how proud we are to be members of the L-81 Vette Registry.As wev'e said many times in the past,Its not the cars, Its the people that keep this hobby fun. If I can help answer any questions on the Two Tones Fire Away!!

Mike K

vin

mike i have 2 b-green cars the 50 74 vin is 000248 have you seen one that low before , the tag on the door is still there it s date is 6/81 it would have to be one of the first weeks of car built there i would think . the other one is silver and blue its like 01324 but the door tag is gone. whats the vin on your? thanks george

two tone vin #

George, Our car is in the low 6300 range. it was built sept. 20th. I dont know how many 4-speed cars in Beige over Bronze were built, But I'm SURE they are Very rare. We saw one at Bloomington Gold 's Auction last year, it had (I think) about 12,ooo Miles on it BUT with the 4-speed it brought $17,ooo. Some value guides i've seen list the stick as a $2,ooo add-on! Great find.

Mike K

mike you said that there was about 500 two tone tan and bronze that were built, how did you fine it out? , i looked hi and low and couldn't find anything about the amounts made. thanks george

twotone numbers

George,

In 2000 at Mid-America Fun Fest. One of the celebrity judges was retired from the paint shop at Bowling Green. we had a pretty long conversation about the D-84 cars. As I had never found a source for paint counts I was intrested in his comments,(i'm sorry I cant remember his name, nor can I tell what it was off the award sheet) Anyway he was VERY sure there were less than 500 Beige and Bronze Vettes produced. Is he right? Who knows! As i've said before you don't see many at the shows so I guess we'll never know. It's a color that people either love or hate but we've always gotten very positive comments on it. Right now I'll settle for just getting her out of storage and back on the street!!!

Mike

thanks for reply

thanks mike , ive got to put a water pump on mine. it looks original, car only has 72 k on it , thanks again george

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom