Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Active Handling Question

ICOMP

Corvette
2007 Black Z51 Coupe and 2004 Magnetic Red Coupe
I've been experiencing issues with the handling system activating periodically even when I'm driving in a straight line. I've noticed that it seems to happen more frequently when I have the climate contol turned on in the car. On checking, there are no current TCS codes present, but there is a persistent HVAC B0367 code being thrown. I have notice more frequent pulsing electical pump sounds tha last only a couple of seconds at a time, but this coincides with the tcs messages. Occasionally, the system does activate the abs when I'm slowing the car. I assume that this is all connected. Any advice and can this become dangerous?

Jim

HI there,
There is NO correlation.
First, does this ONLY happen when you are on the brakes, the motor noise?
Does it happen at any other time?
What work, if any, have you had done?
Allthebest, c4c5

No work has ever been done on the car and the motor noise kicks in and out while I'm just driving normally, not just when I'm slowing the car. It will always display "active handling" on the DIC when this occurs for a few seconds and the message then goes off.

Jim
HI there,
There is NO correlation.
First, does this ONLY happen when you are on the brakes, the motor noise?
Does it happen at any other time?
What work, if any, have you had done?
Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,
Then, its most likely seeing something that is making the system activate.
You will need a data list from a Tech 2 to evaluate the concern further.
Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,
Allthebest, c4c5

Story of my life...Thanks for your input...

Jim

I tried the grounding points first and that didn’t fix the problem. The steering sensor was replaced and haven't had the problem for two tanks of gas / 6 days now. I feel the repair was worthwhile.

HI there,
Allthebest, c4c5

Okay, now the c1287 code is presenting itself. I'm going t try checking all of the grounds before going to the dealership. Is there any particular process for this?

ICOMP

HI there,
This is a correlation code for the steering wheel position sensor.
Basically, the 2 sensors dont agree with each other.
Now, grounding issues normally never cause this condition.
Normally, its the steering wheel position sensor.
The reason for the cost is that the steering COLUMN has to be removed from the vehicle in order to replace the sensor.
Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,
This is a correlation code for the steering wheel position sensor.
Basically, the 2 sensors dont agree with each other.
Now, grounding issues normally never cause this condition.
Normally, its the steering wheel position sensor.
The reason for the cost is that the steering COLUMN has to be removed from the vehicle in order to replace the sensor.
Allthebest, c4c5

Fair enough...Guess it's time to bite the bullet and visit the dealership. Thanks!

ICOMP

Fair enough...Guess it's time to bite the bullet and visit the dealership. Thanks!

ICOMP

By the way, does anyone have a suggestion on a good service center near Cinci, Indy, or Columbus?

Thanks,

ICOMP

ICOMP
Finally got around to getting the car to the local dealership. I was expecting a major repair bill but got pleasantly surprised with only one hour's labor. The tech said that there was a bulletin out regarding a wiring harness in the steering column that coud bind and become loosened or disconnected. I'm still a little wary that this is not the problem and haven't driven the car enough yet to prove the repair successful. Have you heard of this bulletin? ICOMP

HI there,
The bulletin is for c6, not c5.
Anything is possible though.
Allthebest, c4c5

As I thoght, the car continued with these symptoms as soon as I got it home. Called the service manager and he told me that his tech didn't even bother to pull the codes. So back to the shop I go...

Icomp

Yeah. Took it back the other day and asked what the heck they did and was told that they couldn't get the car to replicate my symptoms. I asked again about the codes in history this tme they said on diagnosis nothing came up. Called me yesterday and said that they are going to replace the steering rate sensor ($440). Do I have a right to ask them to credit me for the first repair?

ICOMP

Since they did not pull the codes the first time, it seems you would be justified to ask for an adjustment. Is the dealership/shop experienced with a lot of Corvettes? I have a Chevy dealer in my area that has sold a ton of Vettes over several years and really knows them inside and out! A drive around the town it is located (Decatur, Alabama) attests to his success -- there are a million Vettes on the road!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom