Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another exhaust-ting subject

G

gary b.

What mufflers sound the best with a stock 350 ? I've heard, that flowmasters are the best, do'es anyone agree or disagree ?
Also, if i remove the cat - converter, will i get more power or just problems ?
We have no smog checks where i live.
1978 vette with stock exhaust system. thanks alot! ;)

Gary,I have the dual set up with flowmasters.I have the stock 350 and am very very pleased with both sound and performance.I have had no problems whatso ever.They say you can expect a 20 - 30 hp gain in performance.I'd vouch for that.Some one has an excellent post on exhaust performance on this site.

Dave

True Duals

Gary,
Had true duals installed today and man o man I am still on clould nine, 2 1/2 pipe from rams all the way back to Borla mufflers and what a sound. I can't believe they are the same mufflers.. Plus the car seems like it has more hp.. Now it sounds like a Vette and I got the hi sign from other drivers....All I can say is go for it ..
Sounds Sweeeeeetttt...

I have the Free Flow Cat.. and series 40 Flowmasters.. :dance

BudD
:w

I had the Corsa cat-back system installed and couldn't be happier. The sound is great during acceleration and quiet enough at cruising speeds that you can talk or listen to the radio. No resonance at low RPM and the pro tips look great.

I have true duals with long tube headers, free flow cats and series 40 flowmasters on the 75.

The 94 has a flowmaster cat back system.

I don't want to dissapoint anyone so I'll go ahead and say what I know you all know I think about exhaust. If you're de-smogging it, no other way to go but chambered - dig it!

- Eric:w

I have the same setup as Rare81. Free flow cat with dual Flowmaster 40s. Sounds good, but I really, really, really get tired of the resonance in the 1200-1800 RPM range . . .

. If you're de-smogging it, no other way to go but chambered - dig it!
What are the benefits of a chambered exhaust ? and what is it ?
Thanks alot everyone! gary.:)

rpounds said:
I have the same setup as Rare81. Free flow cat with dual Flowmaster 40s. Sounds good, but I really, really, really get tired of the resonance in the 1200-1800 RPM range . . .

Ron,
I don't notice it so much at highway speed, but around town esp. in 3rd gear in a parking garage :D I LOVE IT... makes all those other cars squeel as OLE RARE passes by :dance

BudD
:w

My '79 now has Delta Flow (Flowmaster) 40's w/ no cat, new s.s. rear y-pipe from Mid America - I'm very happy with all! I especially love the look of the straight-out chrome tips my muffler guy put in (never been a big fan of the turned-down look) - has a great racecar look to it now. I noticed a slight increase in both hp & gas mileage as well, plus the sound in the low rpm range is a definite head turner!
A buddy of mine got the chambered exhaust on his '73 350 and it sounds badass! Whenever he pulls up in my driveway, it sounds like Dale Jr. just pulled up - makes every window in the house quiver in fear! He also noticed a dramatic increase in hp as well (he removed the cat, mine was already gone).
Hope this helps your decision a little.

Doug

One more thing. Be sure to get a balance pipe or x-pipe installed. The engine will run smoother at idle, and you'll have more grunt at low rpms. I had mine done today, and now she purrs at idle!

Chambered exahust is the best for what I heard, and muffs wont give much unless you go with strait through system.

gary b. said:
What are the benefits of a chambered exhaust ? and what is it ? Thanks alot everyone! gary.:)

I went from stock exhaust to chambered a few months ago and WOW what a difference. The chambered exhaust is essentially a copy of the side exhaust that Chevy mounted on Vettes in the 60's only they are now made to fit under the car and exit out of the stock tips. The chambered section is a 3.5 inch tube with a baffle slid in and crimped in place. The end result is a pipe you could literally roll a tennis ball through. At low RPM the extra sound is really nice as the baffles catch the puffs. At heavy throttle time the exhaust rolls right through the system and an unearthly sound comes from the rear. The advantage over the side-exhaust chambered systems is that you can hear yourself think during throttle. When excellerating, you'll need an amp to hear the radio but at cruising speeds it's a nice tune, though not mellow, not too loud to be obnoxious unless you're kicking it hard. I can't say for sure how much it improved my performance since I installed a Pertronix Ignitor at the same time but I doubt that the Ignitor is responsible for all of my newfound power:D.

-Eric :w

True Duals, Free Flow Cats and Flowmaster 40 will get you down the road.

Blackjack ceramic coated headers to 3" Y-pipe to a 2-stage free-flow cat, back to 3" pipes to DynoMax Ultra mufflers. Very nice 1500-2500 sound. But since she got titled as a Historic vehicle today; there will be a serious upgrade to the exhaust system in my future. Ah...... I can hear the Flowmasters singing already. Sometimes life is good. :D

............. Nut

Mufflers? Cats? Forget it!

I gotta say that I still like my sound the best from what I've heard...

Hooker headers running straight back into Cherry Bombs at the rear. The Cherry Bomb's packing is pretty much gone, so now it's just straight back all the way. It sounds MEAN. There are sounds clips on one of the guy's site around here. There's 4 audio clips of my car. Two fly bys and two idles... But as with all sound clips, it doesn't quite compare to hearing it first hand. If you can, wait until SharkFest (end of August) at the NCM, and you'll get to hear everyone's exhaust, including mine. Then make your decision...

The car sounds nice with just a hair of lumpiness at idle, then kinda purrs upto about 3K RPM. After that, I hope you're not behind me...hahahaah... :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom