Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another interior question: What should go underneath the carpet?

White75

Corvette
'75 L48 Auto White, '78 L82 4-spd SA
When I took out the old carpet out I saw that the previous owner had put down a home carpet underlayment and a metal foil/fiberglass blanket. Neither looks like it really should be there. What should be there or more importantly, what would be the best under there. We have dual exhaust which does run under there so it can get a bit toasty so anything to protect feet and carpet would be preferred.
Thanks!

Check the archives. This topic has been discussed many times. When I replaced the carpet in my 70 I purchased a foil insulation from Lowes called I believe Dynamat and it was easy to install and made a big difference in the temp's inside the car. It is not factory correct but it works better than the matting that came from the factory.

The foil backed material might be factory. You should also find some spray on sound deadening material, depending on year, and jute backing on the carpet.

:)

Dynamat, Mine went from floorboards to hot for my lady to cool to the touch. No heat hets through.

I found the reflectix stuff at Lowe's. Also found dynamat but it was a bit too expensive.
I first layed down a rubberized undercoating to add to the protection and then layed down the reflectix and it fit really well in my opinion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom