Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

another oil question. just a quick q though.

Flared69

Corvette
1969 350ci #36155
Ok, this is just a query.

Now, I personally havn't changed the oil for my vette yet. I have had it serviced while its had its brakes replaced. So, how would I know by sight/smell/taste/whatever if my oil is regular or synthetic?

And is the rule "You can safely change to regular from synthetic" or is it vice versa?

Cheers.

You can switch one way or the other. Don't get caught up on either urban legends or marketing hype.

Spending big bucks on synthetics may make you feel like you're doing something good for your car, but I (again) challenge anyone to supply unbiased, documented PROOF that synthetics make engines last longer (not look prettier when torn down).

interesting.

cheers!

so regardless of the oil I have inside my car right now, if i drain it I should be able to just put in whatever I pick off the shelf? (mobil 1 it shall be).

Well, those urban legends aren't all false. I bought my '78 and there was no leaks at all. She is a cherry. So, I decided to go over to synthetic. Well, guess what I found on my garage floor a week ago..? Yup, you guessed it....oil. And I have a good idea its because I switched to synthetic, which is smaller molecules, finding those little holes to leak from. So, the next time I change my oil (in the next month), I'm going back to the other stuff.

How many miles on your engine? If you've been running synthetic (though you aren't sure) on a high milage, then I think it's find to keep with it. But from first hand experience, I wouldn't switch to synthetic.

Same problem when I switched to synthetic in my 71. Leaks appeared that were not there before.

Flared69 said:
And is the rule "You can safely change to regular from synthetic" or is it vice versa?
It is vice versa. You shouldn't change to syntethic in an engine that has always been run with mineral oil, unless you rebuild and clean it. Don't have any hard facts to back this statement with, but it's what I've always been told.

Even if synthetic did make the engine last longer why would you want to go there. My wife won't let me get the high HP engine if I already have a perfectly good one. :L

This is from the Mobil 1 web site:

Myth:Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.
Fact: Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.

tom...

Most shops put a small sticker of some kind, either on the windshield or door frame and state what oil they used, most likely Oil Mfr. and wt. If they didn't I would think a call to the shop and ask what type of oil they used would be about the easiest and most sure means of knowing what type and wieght oil they used ;)

Bud

Flared69 said:

Now, I personally havn't changed the oil for my vette yet. I have had it serviced while its had its brakes replaced. So, how would I know by sight/smell/taste/whatever if my oil is regular or synthetic?

Cheers.

Very controversial topic with many different theories. Vehicle usage, miles per year, type of driving, climate, time between oil changes, type of engine are some of the factors that should be considered when choosing an oil. No doubt the synthenics have superior lubricating and cold flow abilities, however a well maintained engine with regular oil/filter changes will survive just fine on dino oil. I have hear the leaky seal story but it did not happen to me when I changed to Mobil 1 on a 70000 mile motor. I have also heard that synthetics should only be used on new motors after the initial breakin of 3000 to 5000 miles with dino oil, allowing all metal surfaces to seat properly. Oddly enough, my brother's 03 Z06 came from the factory with Mobil 1 in the crankcase and they, GM, recommend using Mobil 1 --- go figure. Proper maintenance is the key. MHO Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom