Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another speedo thread... (with a pic)

V

Vette737

I replaced my speedo cable and it would work for a while, but then quit.

I have resecured it at the trans and the speedo, and the cable seemd to slide around in the casing.

I remember the old cable had a bent and busted up plastic piece on the end of it but the new one dosen't.

Does the back of my speedo look right to youz guyz???

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottgallardo/873090129/

Thanks

Scott

Yep, kinda looks like mine. The cable is not really secured tightly by the clip, and will slide in and out a little.

Cheers

Richard

Can you replace the speedo to transducer cable without taking out the dash? I can see and get a hand on mine, haven't got clip loose yet.

It is a royal PITA to get at. I took out the AC duct under the stering column and could get at the back of the speedo. It is not easy.

There are lots of posts that have other recommendations.

Thanks for the reply Richard. If that is what it is supposed to look like, I wonder what plan B is?

Anybody... Anybody... Bueller... Bueller...

S

I haven't pulled that yet, I am waiting on the new speedo gears. I can see the speedo/transducer does not have the square cable inside the sleeve like it should, there is a cable in the tranmission/transducer cable. I wish it were only the cable from the transmission because I dread pulling the dash out.

I guess the trans gear is the next thing to try. Anyone know which gear is standard on the 82?

I needed to replace some lights behind the speedo and tach anyway.

I digress from the original post but, who is the best to do the 140 mph conversion?

Thanks,

Scott

When I replaced the transducer to tach gage cable on my 81, I removed the transducer mounting on the wheel well, which gave me access to end of the cable so you can pull it out. Be sure that you get the entire cable out, i.e., the gage tip end sometimes breaks off and stays in the tach gage. If this happen then you need to pull the console. So if you get lucky and the cable comes out clean, then you only have to insure that when you insert the new cable that you rotate it to get inserted into the gage drive gear. Note some cable mfgr state not to lube the cable, check before installing. I found that moving the transducer mounting point slightly improved the routing of the cable sleeving that went to through the fire wall. I used pop rivets to mount the transducer (use back-up washers on the pop rivets), eliminates trying to hold flat washer, lock washer & nut on engine side and a wrench on the wheel side of the wheel well when you are working alone.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom